Basketball tournament to benefit habitat for humanity

Students in Professor Halliday’s Management 202 class are not only practicing the skills they learned in the classroom, but donating to a good cause. They will be hosting a basketball tournament on April 22 and giving the proceeds to Quinnipiac’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity.

Students were assigned to do a “task project” at the beginning of the semester where they will hopefully improve their team development skills while raising money. They were not required to donate the money, but the students in one group wanted to do something to help others with the money they earned.

“They are donating the money to Habitat for Humanity,” said Curtis Lecolst, a sophomore public relations major. “They are looking to raise $1,000 dollars so they can make a decent donation.”

Lecolst is a member of the Sleeping Giant PR Firm on campus.

The students will be holding a basketball tournament with a variety of games and prizes. A lay-up contest, foul shot contest, three-point contest and half-court shots will be some of the games planned for the afternoon. Prizes include various gift cards and Quinnipiac University athletic merchandise donated by the athletic center.

The students on the “management team” include Kevan Higgins, Hobson Bradford, Chris O’Shea, Ryan Peppard, Steven Klag, Chris Hodgdon, and Kyle Ames. They want to learn to work together as a team, while creating a successful event for students.

“The goals are to improve our team development skills in order to become a ‘high performance team.'” Lecolst said. Each team will be graded for their efforts and level of team development by Professor Halliday.

Students were allowed to create any type of task, and this group thought that a basketball tournament would be a fun activity for students. They wanted to donate the money they raised instead of dividing it up among members of the group.

“We felt that we should donate the money to an organization that would have more use for it, rather then using the money for our own fun.” Lecolst said.

The competition will be held on April 22, from 1-5 p.m. in the Athletic Center. The entry fee is $3.00 per person, and can be paid at the door.