Outdoor track opens season

The Quinnipiac University outdoor track team started its season strongly last Saturday. The team fielded several solid races in a non-scoring meet at Wagner College in Staten Island, N.Y.

The women’s team highlight of the day occurred when junior Erin O’Connell won the 800 meter race.

Junior Heather Hoffman crossed the finish line second in her steeplechase field. Saturday represented the first time that Hoffman had raced competitively in the steeple chase.

Sophomores Susan Ashe and Caitlin Brady earned second place in 5000 meters and 1500 meters respectively. Ashe finished with a time of 18:59.00 and Brady with a time of 5:00.09.

The women’s 4×800 meter relay team consisting of O’Connell, Brady, Ashe and sophomore Ashley Reichelt finished second with a time of 10:12.34.

On the men’s side, sophomore Jacob Gurzler won the 1500 meters with a time of 4:03.67.

Sophomore Phil Roach won the steeplechase with a time of 9:42.47.

The men also emerged victorious in the 4X800 meter relay. Gurzler, senior Greg Brink, freshman Matt Warren and freshman Jack McDonald crossed the line in a time of 8:08.00.

“I thought it was a good opening meet for us and I was pleased with the effort I saw from all the races,” Quinnipiac head coach Shawn Green said.

Quinnipiac Track will host its first ever outdoor track meet on Wednesday, April 5. The Bobcats will compete against Iona, Stony Brook and Providence.