Spring Fling promises ‘classy night’ out

Still have your prom dresses, girls? Well, get dolled up again because it’s time for the annual Spring Fling.

The dance, sponsored each year by the Student Government Association, will take place Friday, April 21, from 8 p.m. until midnight at the Chevrolet Theater in Wallingford. Tickets are $45 per person, which is five dollars less than the cost of last year’s event. The SGA planned to sell 500 tickets on March 31, but although more than half that amount were sold, there are still more tickets avaialble.

“Ticket sales went well and we sold 361 tickets ,” said Christina Valvano, a Sophomore Class Representative for the SGA and the Semi-Formal Chairperson. “I was so excited to see people lined up before ticket sales began! We do plan to sell tickets next week.”

The cost of the ticket covers food, transportation, DJ and renting out the theater for the evening.

All undergraduate students are welcome to attend the semi-formal and may bring registered guests as dates.

“The Spring Fling is a great opportunity to finally get off campus, especially for freshmen, and have a great night with friends,” said Valvano. Junior management major Lindsay Olzerowicz plans to attend the dance with her boyfriend and two of her roommates.

“We’re going just for a chance to have prom again,” Olzerowicz said. “It’s a fun little thing to do.”

Michelle Thrasher, a senior media studies major, will also be attending the Spring Fling.

“It’s my last chance to go to a formal and just to be with all my friends,” Thrasher said.

SGA hopes that the dance will draw a crowd that does not normally get the chance to enjoy formal occasions.

“Normally only Orientation Leaders, Resident Assistants, Fraternities and Sororities get to have formals,” Valvano said. “But this is a chance for the whole university to dress up and participate.”

She says the dance will be a pleasant diversion from a normal QU weekend.

“It’s a classy night of dancing and an entertaining alternative to going to the clubs of New Haven,” Valvano said.