Chronicle Athletes of the Week: Danielle Mormile and Sean McBride

Danielle Mormile
Sport: Lacrosse
Class: Senior
Hometown: Oceanside, N.Y.
Major: Marketing

Mormile, a NEC All-Conference Second Team selection last year, has picked up where she left off for a Bobcat team that’s off to a 2-0 start in conference play.

In seven games, Mormile has registered a team-leading 18 points. The Long Island native has tallied 12 goals, handed out six assists, and scooped up nine groundballs.

Last Saturday, Mormile accomplished a unique feat never accomplished before by a Quinnipiac player: a hat trick less than five minutes into a game.

In a 16-1 dismantling of St. Francis (Pa.) at home, Mormile scored all three of her goals in the game’s first 4:21.

She connected on 3-of-4 shots, all three of them on goal, making it a difficult day for St. Francis (Pa.) goalie Samantha Morgan, who was yanked after 26:35 of play and her team trailing 9-0. The win improved the Bobcats to 3-4 overall and propelled them to the top of the conference.

The senior attacker/midfielder ranked in the top five in the conference in two categories last season. She finished tied for first on the team in goals (30) and second in points (34). Her breakout year drew the attention of the NEC and pinned her as an essential element of the offense this season.

Saturday’s performance is an indication that Mormile is making the most of her final year in a Bobcat uniform.

Sean McBride
Sport: Lacrosse
Class: Senior
Hometown: South Salem, N.Y.
Major: Business

McBride, a power player who bulldozes his way to the cage with a reckless abandon, has taken on a bulk of the scoring for a powerful group of attackers this season.

With so many teams keying on go-to-guy Josh Murray, the scoring opportunities have come for McBride.

McBride has surely taken advantage of them, firing many shots and leaving many goalies in pure frustration.

The John Jay-Cross River High product has scored 17 points on 14 goals and three assists through the first six games.

Plunged into a bigger role on and off the field this year, McBride sees himself in a good situation with the Bobcats, who are off to a 4-2 start.

“It just boils down to great team chemistry, with kids that are starting to master their specific goals,” McBride said. “Our middies are always working hard to draw the slide and I just find myself on the finishing end fortunately.”

McBride has gelled with Eric Trama and Tucker Prudden after making the transition from midfield to attack last season. The trio has emerged into one of the most dangerous groups of scorers in the program’s history.

“Sean has really developed so much since he was a freshman,” head coach Eric Fekete said. “When he’s given his opportunities, and he’s focused and doing his thing, he’s about as good as anyone we’ve ever had here.”