May Weekend ’06 Coverage: New policies hurt QU seniors most of all

Part One of a Two-Part Article

Let’s face it. College students drink. But by senior year, most of us have learned how to handle our consumption, and/or are mature enough to make our own decisions. We live on our own maintaining houses and apartments, writing our rent checks and shopping for groceries. We have jobs, make our schedules, and have been considered legal adults since freshman year.

When age 21 rolls around, students are more excited about privileges, than downing bottles of beer. Truth be told, most have been drinking since high school, and the idea of getting wasted is ‘so 3 years ago.’ Even for those who enjoy the feeling of a great buzz, use their legal ID to be part of a larger social scene; entering bars, clubs and being served cocktails and important venues, is the key hook for legality.

May Weekend, a celebration of successfully completing another semester of school, has been the highlight of many at QU. It gives everyone a chance to feel rewarded for completing another semester, and takes a load off pre-finals. The social event of the year, students come together in groups to parade around campus sporting comfy clothes, a big smile.and a drink in hand. Because during this weekend, anything goes. Well, anything went.

Suddenly with the university’s latest power trip, the authority whip is cracking down big time. The overwhelming tornado of new rules makes seniors feel as though we are being targeted for no apparent reason, and treated as if we are criminals, instead of students. We have not graduated just yet. Give us a break.

After being an active, dedicated member of Quinnipiac University for four years, I couldn’t wait for the day it would all be paid off with a giant reward upon graduation year. Gathering with my fellow seniors, I pictured laughs, good times, and utmost respect from faculty and staff. But clearly, this is not the case. The new May Weekend policies including no open containers, no refreshment tent, and the cancellation of off campus transportation, is causing problems before the time has arrived.

Believe me, safety is a main concern of mine, and I am incredibly aware of the school’s desire to keep us protected. However, if the university feels so anxious about our well being, then I am shocked and appalled that the shuttle system for off campus students has been revoked. Because now, Quinnipiac is basically asking students to get on the road after consuming alcohol, and I would have thought drunk driving would be a first disturbance on their list.

If you are going to make rules, be consistent. Don’t tell us we can’t take part in legal action of drinking in a 21-only refreshment tent, but expect us to find means of transportation to campus. Not to sound like alcoholics, but there is hardly a reason for seniors to attend this event if all the fun is being taken away. Why would we want to go to campus when we aren’t allowed down dorm road, don’t get a refreshment tent, and have no means of transportation?