SPB to co-sponsor rideATAXIA+, takes over for Sigma Phi Epsilon

The Student Programming Board (SPB) will take over for fraternity Sigma Phi Epsilon in its partnership with Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance’s (FARA) annual event rideATAXIA+ Connecticut.

“SPB decided to become the primary sponsor to ensure the successful completion of this great event which supports Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA),” SPB President Erica Cianciosi said in a statement.

The event, scheduled for Oct. 11, is a 10-mile bike ride on the Farmington Canal Trail through Hamden and Cheshire, according to the event’s Facebook page. After the bike ride participants meet on the Quad for a free picnic lunch, a raffle and live entertainment.

The event was originally sponsored by Sigma Phi Epsilon. The fraternity was recently ordered to “cease and desist” all activities while the university investigates hazing allegations, according to the Sigma Phi Epsilon national headquarters.

Sigma Phi Epsilon sponsored the event in honor of member junior Joey Mullaney who suffers from Friedreich’s Ataxia – a degenerative neuromuscular disorder, according to Cianciosi.

The fraternity made national news earlier this month with its video of its members carrying Mullaney up the Sleeping Giant last semester.

Junior Rebecca Taylor is happy SPB will become the primary sponsor of rideATAXIA+.

“I’m sorry that [Sigma Phi Epsilon] can’t hold their event, but I think it’s great that SPB is taking it over so the charity does not have to suffer,” she said.

Her opinion is shared by senior Tommy Thevenet.

“It’s sad that Sig Ep can’t do the event anymore, but I’m sure they’re happy that it’s still going on,” he said. “At the end of the day, money is still being raised.”