Apollo Night a high energy success

It was a night of music, comedy, and dance moves like you have never seen before. If you missed it, you missed out.

Black Student Union’s annual Apollo Night, was held in Alumni Hall this past Friday night. According to the show’s program, it “serves as an outlet for people of all races and nationalities to display their talent.”

The show was hosted by comedian Benji Brown. BSU offered wings, pizza, and beverages at a small price. The night was chocked full of performances by some of the most talented students on campus. Though the show got to a late start, no one in the audience seemed to mind. Every performance was welcomed with shouts of praise and applause, and everyone was cheering everyone else on.

The show started with the Gospel Choir performing, “We Sing the Praises,” with a slideshow of pictures flashing in the background. The slideshow presented the likes of Luther Vandross, Ray Charles, and the Notorious B.I.G. Then, Brown, who came all the way from Miami, Fla., entered the stage to receive a few laughs from the audience and host the remainder of the show. Brown interacted with the crowd all night and was very enthusiastic. He had the crowd cheer on every performance numerous times.

Among the performances were: the Step Squad; Ashley Hobby, reading her poetry; and Matthew Demello, singing and playing the piano to Bruce Springsteen’s “Atlantic City.”

Although the high energy crowd was enthusiastic about almost all the performances, there was only one that received a standing ovation: Dance Mode. Even before these girls walked on stage, the crowd was going wild. During the performance, almost everyone in the audience seemed stunned, as if they were asking themselves, ‘Where can I learn to dance like that?’

Apollo Night was a night full of fun and entertainment, a true representation of how much talent is on this campus, and the high level of respect students have for one another.