Women’s tennis wins second MAAC title

Women’s tennis wins second MAAC title

The Quinnipiac women’s tennis team won its second consecutive Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship on Sunday afternoon. With the win, the Bobcats have punched their ticket to an eighth NCAA tournament appearance.

Quinnipiac opened up the MAAC tournament against the Marist Red Foxes and won 4-0. The Bobcats then faced Niagara in the conference championship, winning 4-0 as well.

Since the Bobcats have joined the MAAC last season, they are a perfect 20-0 against conference foes. Quinnipiac has swept its opponent in its last four matches.

Senior Jacqueline Raynor won the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player award for the second consecutive year. During the course of the tournament, Raynor won three matches for the Bobcats. The senior extended her 24-match win streak, adding to her record-breaking season with 49 wins.

Junior Sophia Dzulynsky also won three matches in the tournament, including two in the championship against Niagara. Sophomore Sydney Young finished with two wins in the tournament, clinching the conference tournament with a singles victory to give the Bobcats a final victory.

Before the conference tournament began, Quinnipiac head coach Paula Miller won the MAAC Women’s Tennis Head Coach of the Year award in her first season as head coach. The Bobcats also had eight All-MAAC selections, including five first team selections.

Overall this season, the Bobcats hold a 14-8 record. They currently hold a five match win streak and are winners of eight of their last 10 in the month of April.

The Bobcats have made eight Division I NCAA Tournament appearances, but are still looking for their first National Championship victory. Quinnipiac made the tournament last season and fell in the first round to No. 11 Stanford 4-0.

Quinnipiac found out its opponent and seeding for the first round on Tuesday at 5.