G.L.A.S.S. to sponsor ‘Monologues’ performance

Quinnipiac’s G.L.A.S.S. will sponsor performances of its annual Vagina Monologues this weekend in Buckman Theater with proceeds benefiting an, as yet undecided, domestic violence women’s shelter. The showings are part of V-Day, a worldwide initiative that works to stop violence against women.

Penned by activist/playwright Eve Ensler, the Monologues offer a female perspective on relationships, sex, and self-appreciation described in stories originally gathered from women across the world, but will be brought to the stage by a group of QU women. Co-director, junior Claire Rosenberg says the show will provide a meaningful message.

“The message of this show is all about being proud of who you are, and showcasing it,” she said.”Throughout the world, women are abused, violated, forced to cover up…but when Eve Ensler went out to talk to these women, there was an overwhelming trend, and it wasn’t about downtrodden women complaining about their place in society or the hardships they endured. She found women helping other women overcome and speak out, to be proud of who they are, and to make something of themselves.”

The show is comprised entirely of first-hand stories.”Some are sad, some are humorous, some are angry, but the overreaching theme is that they are all proud,” she said.

Auditions for the Monologues were held in November, where both theater students and non-majors turned out . This time around, the majority of the actors are from outside the theater concentration, and will perform stories originally told by a Jewish New Yorker, a 6-year-old girl, and a British woman, among others.

“Girls want to be involved because of the message and the plain old fun of the show,” Rosenberg said. “It allow(ed) us to (build) a diverse cast.”

Involved in the production since her freshman year, Rosenberg’s co-director, junior Andi Sherman, assumed one of this year’s leadership roles when the show’s previous director graduated.

“I felt that the Monologues are an important tool in raising awareness about domestic abuse,” Sherman said. “They also empower women to love themselves for who they are and to not be afraid of their sexuality.”

Both have high hopes for this year’s production.

“Hopefully (the production) will help change social attitudes toward this violence. To this day, woman are still being viewed by many as the ‘weaker sex.’ Too often (violence) is overlooked as being normal (and some people) don’t want to get involved,” Sherman said. “The Monologues are all about being true to yourself as a woman, spreading respect for women across the world, and helping a good cause,” Rosenberg adds. “We do that with humor, heartfelt stories, laughter and tears. It’s a production meant to pull on your heartstrings.”

IF YOU GO…
    What: The Vagina Monologues
    Where: Buckman Theater, Feb. 10-12 at 7 p.m. p.m
    Tix: $7 for adults and $5 for students