Music, movies and more: Fall Out Boy, Jason Lee top list of celebs to watch in ’06

A brand new year not only brings new resolutions and new goals, but also offers a crop of new entertainers. 2005 brought the entertainment world performers including Ciara, but as Jan. 1 approached, it was quickly out with the old and in with the new. While some performers ended last year with a bang, others are ready to shine throughout 2006. Here are six celebrities to watch for this year:

Jake Gyllenhaal: This incredible young actor established himself in indie productions, which lead to work on major films. His first starring role was in 1998’s “October Sky,” followed by “Bubble Boy,” “The Day After Tomorrow,” “Jarhead,” and his latest feature film, “Brokeback Mountain.” His role as Jack Twist in the drama has already earned rave reviews. Hollywood’s Film Festival Board of Advisors admired Gyllanhaal enough to designate him the Hollywood Breakthrough Actor. Continuing his career success, Gyllenhaal will release “Zodiac,” about a San Francisco serial killer, later this year.

Chris Brown: When you first see Chris Brown, his voice, dance moves, and style resemble that of Michael Jackson or Usher. However, the 16-year-old Virginia native has an additional attribute that distinguishes him from many others in the business: his focus and humility. This heartthrob’s summer jam “Run It” was a number one single on Billboard’s Top 100 and his self-titled album reached the number two spot on the charts. His second single “Yo (Excuse Me Miss)” is rising on the charts and he has already been recognized on Teen People’s Hot List and is nominated for a NAACP Outstanding New Artist Award.

Fall Out Boy: This Chicago emo/punk band released “From Under the Cork Tree” in 2005 and has been climbing the ladder to success ever since. Their latest single “Dance, Dance,” has reached number nine on the Billboard Top 100, while “Sugar, We’re Going Down” held steady at number 13. With two hit singles and a successful year already under their belt, Fall Out Boy is up for a Best New Artist Grammy later this month. The band will headline “The Black Clouds and Underdog Tour” from March to May and will be hitting the Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport on May 5.

Jamie Foxx: This triple threat actor/comedian/singer gained notoriety in “In Living Color” and in his own television show, “The Jamie Foxx Show. After winning a Best Actor Oscar in 2005 for his role as Ray Charles and starring in “Stealth” and “Jarhead,” he showcased one characteristic the world had not seen before: his vocal talents. Foxx released his full-length album “Unpredictable,” in December.

Amy Adams: After taking smaller roles on a host of television shows, Adams was featured in the 2002 production of “Catch Me If you Can,” in the 2005 film “The Wedding Date” and the independent feature, “Junebug,” opposite “The O.C.’s” Ben McKenzie. Portraying McKenzie’s pregnant young wife Amy, Adams received the Breakthrough Actor award at the 2005 Gotham Awards. Her next film, “Enchanted,” is set for release later this year.

Jason Lee: After living a life as a professional skateboarder, Lee decided to alter his career goals to become an actor. His first role was in the 1991 production “Video Days,” and he also took part in films including “Dogma” and “The Incredibles.” He is currently headlining the NBC series “My Name is Earl” as Earl Hickey. Expect Lee to pop up on the silver screen again in July’s “Monster House.”