Facebook: One year later

Before even entering college this past year, Facebook became a hot commodity among many incoming freshman. It was a way to find similarities with other students and meet new people, while also keeping in touch with high school friends. Now one year after it was introduced at Quinnipiac, Facebook has seen drastic changes, making it even more addicting than before.

The idea of Facebook seems quite useful: a safe alternative to keeping in touch with old friends and also to find new ones. Unlike many similar sites, Facebook requires a valid .edu address in order to become a member, keeping any “suspicious” outside viewers away. The Internet has recently faced a lot of controversy due to private information being displayed on Web sites and using that information in a negative way. Nonetheless, Facebook ensures a safe visit every time.

The “big” thing to do as a Facebook member once was simply “adding” or “poking” friends, but Facebook has, as of late, updated its look. The “wall” feature on profiles now displays an accompanying picture of whoever posted a message, something that was inaccessible earlier on.

“Walls” are constantly updated so only recent entries are shown, but older ones are saved.

Facebook is also a good way of contacting students who are in similar or the same classes. A member can post their schedule on Facebook and can simply click on each subject to see who takes that particular course.

Facebook’s updated homepage is not only more colorful and more interesting than before, but it also more useful. Members receive instant reminders upon login of the upcoming birthdays of friends.

“I think this idea is excellent because I always forget my friend’s birthdays,” freshman Daisy Vargas, said.

Now members can be on time with mailing gifts or simply writing on their friends’ walls to wish them a happy birthday.

Facebook’s latest addition is the creation of photo albums. When Facebook began, each student was only allowed one picture for their profile. Now, students can create an unlimited number of albums to show off. Each photograph allows the member to identify the people in the pictures and also informs each person (by school e-mail) when a picture of them has been posted.

“I love it, it’s addicting” freshman Bryana Miranda, said.

Still, another addition that has caused some controversy is the welcoming of high school students into Facebook. A college student cannot access a high schooler’s profile without being invited which keeps Facebook’s “safe” reputation intact.

Some college students feel Facebook was created specifically for college students but others feel like this addition is another way of simply keeping in touch with friends from home, whether they are in college or still in high school.

Facebook has changed its look and functions dramatically over the past year and at this rate it seems like the changes will not stop any time soon. With almost 900 schools in its system, Facebook’s goal of reaching the 2,000 colleges in the United States does not seem like an overachievement.