Spring cleaning tips

Organize:

Living with roommates and being a busy college student can cause major messes in one’s room. Buzzfeed.com gives a few helpful and smart ideas to make the most of the tiny space given to a college student.

• Put all the snacks in an over-the-door shoe organizer instead of having them lying around on a table.
  • Want to avoid spending cash on a jewelry organizer? Put tiny jewelry (earrings and rings) in an ice cube tray.
  • For necklace and bracelets, tack them onto a bulletin board. Now, your jewelry will be tangle-free.

Declutter your social media:

People always seem to complain about the unnecessary drama on Facebook or how certain couples flaunt their relationship too much on Instagram. Here is an idea: unfriend the people you do not like on Facebook, unfollow the people who rant on Twitter and the people who post too many selfies on Instagram.

Emails can get overwhelming very quickly. Do not have an icon of 117 unread emails on your phone. Plan on sorting through them whenever you can spare the time. Emails pile up, and that isn’t beneficial in any way to anyone.

Donate:

Go through your closet right now and pick out five things that you rarely or never wear. Take these clothes and if you can, gently used appliances and furniture, to the Hamden Goodwill Store and Donation Center located at 2369 on Dixwell Avenue.

Donating is not for everyone. Another way to empty out your closet would be to swap clothes with a friend. In this manner, you can get rid of clothes you hardly wear and receive clothes that are new to you. It is a win-win situation and there is absolutely no spending involved.

Get in Shape:

Still yearning for that spring body even though we’re past spring break? Fear not; Health.com has some excellent workout ideas that should slim down that winter weight.

• TONE YOUR TUMMY–The reverse crunch is a great way to get rid of unwanted belly fat. Start off with your back on a mat and then put your hands behind your head. Bend your knees and raise your feet off the floor with your toes pointed upward.  Tighten your abs and have your lower back slightly off the mat. Go back to the starting position. Repeat this for a minute. Also, attempt to raise and lower your tailbone steadily in order to focus intensely on your lower abs.
  • LEGS–The Two-Thirds Jump Squat works one’s quads and hamstrings. First, stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Go down into a squat. However, lower yourself only two thirds of the way down (hence the name). Then, jump straight up with arms reaching upward. When you land, squat again. This would be one rep. Attempt to do three sets of 20 reps.
  • BUTT–The chair squat is very good for your behind. Stand with your back to a chair, your feet should be hip-width apart. Keep your weight focused on your heels, draw in your abs and lean forward at the hips while slowly lowering your butt toward the chair. Stop right before you would sit down and then return to the standing position. Try to do three sets of 10 to 15 reps.

Eat fresh and seasonal:

Spring means certain fruits are in season. According to About.com and nutrition-and-you.com, keep your eyes out for:

• CHERRIES–These sweet fruits are packed with melatonin. This antioxidant can produce soothing effects on brain neurons, which can help with headaches and insomnia.
  • GRAPEFRUIT–This fruit has a lot of vitamin A (which is good for your skin and vision).There is also some potassium in grapefruit. Potassium regulates blood pressure and heart rate.
  • KIWIS–Kiwis are packed with vitamin C (which combats infection to the body).
  • LEMONS–The citric acid of a lemon helps in smooth digestion.
  • STRAWBERRIES–Studies show that strawberries may have health benefits against aging, cancer, inflammation and neurological diseases.

Just relax:

This is a no-brainer idea: step back and take a deep breath.  The snow will eventually disappear from the ground, and then it will finally feel like spring.  All your efforts to simplify your hectic lifestyle will be worth it.