Scoozzi’s offers omelettes and all that jazz

Sunday brunch can be a time to spend a relaxing morning with friends and family, while enjoying good food and good conversation. However, throw in live music and the atmosphere can change dramatically. While some may feel that live jazz may be overwhelming during a Sunday brunch, the ambience at Scoozzi’s Sunday jazz is not intrusive or overbearing.

Scoozzi’s al fresco atmosphere accents the relaxing vibe the jazz creates as diners sit amid large pots of flowers, vines, and tomato plants arranged loosely on the restaurant’s patio. In the center of the outdoor eating area, a large tree hovers over a wooden canopy. The decor resembles a small private garden.

The jazz performance one Sunday last month featured Tony Lombardozzi on guitar and Jeff Fuller on bass. The two delivered an entertaining set. High pitched chords of the guitar combined with the deep mellow sound of the bass, resulted in a soothing, bubbly sound that encouraged the audience to snap their fingers and nod with the rhythm. Some patrons sat tapping their forks while making small talk with fellow table companions.

The jovial staff and upbeat music are two good reasons to attend Scoozzi’s Sunday brunch. But it is the food that surpasses all other aspects of the restaurant.

When thinking about a Sunday brunch menu, one usually pictures endless choices of pancakes and scrambled eggs. It is these drool-worthy images that may cause diners to initially be disappointed by Scoozzi’s scanty breakfast brunch menu, which consists of only five dishes. But what the menu lacks in options, it makes up for with taste.

For example, there is the Frittata Di Andrea, an oven baked omelette with capellini pasta, mushrooms, peas, romano cheese and vesuvius sauce for $10. The omelette resembles a breakfast-style pot pie. The outside was thick and crispy, and when sliced opened, the inside contents are warm and gooey. The vesuvius sauce was spicy; giving the dish a tangy twist.

Other options on the menu include Frittata Di Antonio, an oven baked omelette with gaspers, chourico, onions, roasted peppers and arugula; and Scoozzi Benedetto, poached eggs with pancetta or smoked Salmon over saut