Hotel rooms still available for graduation

With only six months left until the class of 2006’s impending graduation on May 21, various questions are probably racing through most seniors’ mind. Will I have enough credits to graduate? Did I meet all the curriculum requirements? What am I going to do with the rest of my life?

Just when you think your head is about to explode as stress levels reach all time, highs families present yet another question to ponder: Where should we stay the night before your graduation? For out-of-town students, the hassle of booking a hotel room is probably not high on a list of priorities. However, tell relatives not to worry and simply read on to ease all lodging troubles.

There are still hotels with available rooms for the weekend of Saturday, May 20, as of November 4. Two of these accommodations are located only five miles from campus in Wallingford. The Courtyard by Marriott, located on Route 68, has rooms available for $129 to $144. The Fairfield Inn, located at 100 Chalet Drive, has vacant rooms that night for $129 plus tax.

Traveling only about six miles from Quinnipiac is The Holiday Inn in North Haven. The Holiday Inn, located at 201 Washington Avenue, has rooms available May 20 for $189.95.

Two hotels in Meriden are approximately 11 miles from campus. The Hampton Inn, located at 10 Bee Street, has rooms available with king size beds for a price of $129 a night plus tax. The Sheraton Four Points, located at 275 Research Parkway, has vacant rooms that night ranging from $115 to $130.

About 20 miles from Quinnipiac is the Residence Inn by Marriott in Milford. They too have available rooms that weekend ranging from $150 to $215. The rates for a room at each hotel are subject to change from day to day.

Unfortunately, four major hotels located in New Haven, approximately 12 miles from the school, are all sold out for graduation weekend. The booked hotels include The Colony Inn on Chapel Street, Fairfield Inn on Sargent Drive, The New Haven Hotel on George Street, and the Residence Inn by Marriott on Long Wharf Drive.

Adrienne, a front desk clerk from the Residence Inn, suggests if you really have your heart set on staying in a New Haven hotel, call closer to the date to find out if rooms became available through cancellations. Denise, an employee at the Courtyard by Marriott in Orange, which is also booked that weekend, gave the same advice.

So do your family a favor and tell them there’s still hope for booking a room in the area.