Angoitia’s shutout lifts men’s soccer past Siena on Senior Day

Angoitias shutout lifts mens soccer past Siena on Senior Day

For Borja Angoitia and the other five seniors on the Quinnipiac men’s soccer team, their final home game was a success.

Angoitia registered his seventh shutout of the season, and the Bobcats shutout Siena 2-0 at the QU Soccer Field on Wednesday, clinching a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference playoff berth in the process.

The shutout was the 23rd of Angoitia’s career, as the Bobcats’ goalkeeper surpassed Frederick Hall for the most shutouts in program history.

“He’s been instrumental in the success we’ve had,” Quinnipiac head coach Eric Da Costa said. “Goalkeepers get a lot of credit and a lot of criticism. It’s not an easy position to play, and he’s played it well. He’s shown tremendous improvement every year. It’s a testament to his passion for the game and his belief in himself.”

Angoitia tallied five saves in the win, including a one-handed diving stop during the 74th minute. Siena sophomore Uros Antic fired a shot at Quinnipiac’s keeper, who sprawled out to make the save and keep the game 1-0 in favor of the Bobcats.

“I think we defended very well today,” Angoitia said. “The team effort was excellent, and that’s why we got the winning result.”

25 minutes into the first half, senior midfielder Raphael Carvalho scored the game-winning goal. The goal is Carvalho’s fifth of the season.

Quinnipiac managed to hold onto its one-goal advantage heading into the break, but the Saints came out firing in the second half.

“Siena came pushing in the second half,” Angoitia said. “They needed to change their strategy to get a different result. It’s much harder to keep your foot on the gas, when you’re winning. Usually you let a little off the gas because you think you don’t need another goal.”

Senior forward Machel Baker provided some insurance, though, adding a goal at 86:35. The goal is Baker’s ninth of the year, which leads the team.

With the win, Quinnipiac’s undefeated streak reaches ten games, as the Bobcats have gone 7-0-3 in that span.

With only two games remaining on its regular season schedule, Quinnipiac will try to claim first place with wins against Iona and Fairfield.

“Staying together and believing in one another are the most important things for this team heading into MAAC tournament,” Da Costa said. “We have done a very good job over the of the last five weeks. We’re growing in confidence. But, more importantly, we are remaining humble and focusing on what we can control.”

Prior to the game, Quinnipiac’s six seniors took part in the senior day ceremony. Angoitia, Carvalho, Baker, Zach Friedenreich, Ashton Pett, and Marcos Spanos were all honored.

“We try to say that tradition never graduates,” Da Costa said. “Every year you go through senior day. You lose great players who are great people. Replacing players is easy. Replacing people is difficult.”

For Angoitia, taking another step toward playing in the MAAC Championships is the biggest reason senior day was such a success.

“I’m hoping we can go back to that moment again,” Angoitia said. “It was a special moment. We’re in a good place to get back to it again. So we work everyday to relive that moment”

The Bobcats next game is Saturday, as they travel to Iona for a 3 p.m. start.