Despite weather, Majors Fair a success

Dozens of information tables filled Alumni Hall last Wednesday for the Majors Fair. Faculty members staffed the tables in an effort to show students everything that Quinnipiac has to offer.

Attendance most likely would have been better if the weather had been clearer, however, a good number of students showed up for the fair.

“I was happy to see that 238 students benefited,” said Associate Director of Career Development Susan Hyde-Wick.

The students who did brave the weather were not disappointed by what they found. Alumni Hall was filled with information about the majors and minors that Quinnipiac offers its students.

“[The fair was] overall helpful for determining what kinds of steps you need to take in order to pursue your career or your educational goals,” junior Shelaria Pullen said.

Every table provided students with printed pamphlets telling them everything they need to know about a potential major. Faculty members and students were also available to answer questions. The faculty members and students staffing the tables were eagerly engaging students in conversation throughout the event.

Professor Donn Johnson, chair of the accounting and economics departments, emphasized that he was eager to “inform people that need to know more about a major.”

Audio-visual presentations were made available by many of the majors and minors present at the fair, particularly those in the School of Health Sciences. The visual and performing arts contingent displayed a video of their performance in Northern Ireland. Other tables featured more simplistic but still informative poster displays.

One of the greatest successes of this year’s Majors Fair was the more prominent role given to minors.

“This year we showcased the minors more than we had in previous years,” Hyde-Wick said.

Visual and Performing Arts, Latin-American Studies, and Music were all minors which had their own tables at the fair. Many other minors shared tables, but still provided detailed information to students.

Forms were provided for students interested in immediately changing their major. In addition to majors and minors, the Learning Center, International Education, and Service Learning contributed contingents to the fair.

One of the most informative aspects of the Majors Fair was the Career Services’ display, which included information about workshops as well as a pamphlet that provided advice about choosing a major from Quinnipiac seniors.

Career Services also allowed students to sample “Discover,” which is a computer assisted guidance program designed to help students determine what career fits them best. Students who were intrigued by the sample of this program can acquire a password from Career Services and gain access to the network.

Students and organizers said the 2005 Quinnipiac Majors Fair was a resounding success. The students who attended the fair may have been exposed to some rather harsh weather, but they were also exposed to the depth and excellence of all Quinnipiac’s academic programs.