A fast food generation

For college students on a budget, a quick, easy solution is fast food restaurants, which make it more problematic for students to get a balanced diet and to avoid intaking unwanted ingredients, such as trans fat.

Sophomore Hannah Perlroth said attending college has made her turn to fast-food often.

“I ate fast food in Hamden for breakfast, lunch and dinner because I didn’t have a lot of money and I was hungry,” Perlroth said.

Here at Quinnipiac, students are more apt to giving into the culture of unhealthy fast food because of all the options in Hamden and surrounding areas. By Walmart in Hamden alone, there is an IHOP, Popeyes, McDonalds, Wendy’s, Chipotle, Panera, Subway and Burger King, just to name a few. Just because food off-campus may seem like a better option as opposed to campus cafeteria food, in reality the options aren’t good, especially if eaten frequently.

Obesity in the United States has become an ongoing pressing issue.

“Studies have shown that over the past four decades, consumption of food eaten away from home has also risen alarmingly,” News Medical states on its website. “It is well known that eating out may lead to excess calorie intake and increases the risk of obesity because of large portion sizes and increased energy density of foods”.

News Medical states that many factors have changed the course of healthy eating, especially with children; it is because of these factors, like fast food for example, that the people of this country are quickly becoming overweight.

Being proactive to avoid fast food is a challenge in itself, however. This can be difficult because the United States has been in a declining recession for some time, and with that comes the truth that not many college students–nevermind Americans–are able to afford healthy food, just because it’s a little on the expensive side.

Fast food is extremely cheap, and is very convenient, especially when Americans are constantly on the go. Getting 20-piece chicken nuggets from McDonalds is only $5 and it only takes only a few minutes at most for it to be ready.

The HelpGuide website shares that items on a fast food menu typically use oils, fats and unknown products that can promote a rise in cholesterol because of the content of saturated fats. Going to HelpGuide’s website is even better, because you can look up the amount of calories per item in each product, which helps track daily intake.

“With a college budget, it is difficult to shy away from the cheapness and efficiency of fast food,” Perlroth said.

Despite this, the HealthGuide says it’s OK to eat fast food every once in a while as long as you eat it in moderation. So next time you drive down Dixwell Ave. and pass Chipotle, don’t feel so bad if you give in and have a burrito.