Schweitzer Institute to bring Jane Goodall

The Albert Schweitzer Institute at Quinnipiac University will host a conference on Oct. 28 and 29 entitled “Reverence for Life Revisited: Albert Schweitzer’s Relevance Today.”

The conference will feature keynote speaker Jane Goodall, world renowned primatologist and founder of the Jane Goodall Institute.

“The goal of the conference is to revive the interest and knowledge about Albert Schweitzer and the humanitarian values he promoted,” said David Ives, executive director of the Albert Schweitzer Institute.

Jane Goodall will set off the conference on Oct. 28, at 7 p.m. addressing, “Albert Schweitzer’s Ideas Today.” A book signing will follow her speech. Books can be purchased at the conference, and Q-Cards can be used.

Saturday Oct. 29, at 10 a.m. the Albert Schweitzer Institute will premiere a new Schweitzer documentary in Alumni Hall. The video was produced by Quinnipiac School of Communications professors Rebecca Abbott and Liam O’Brien.

“This documentary is the first attempt since 1957 to revisit the thoughts and ideas of Albert Schweitzer using the technological tools of today,” Ives said. “It is also an attempt to make Schweitzer understandable to the youth of today using a medium through which they are used to receiving and processing information.”

The academic conference will begin at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday following the video debut. The first panel discussion on, “Reverence for Life and Facing the Problems of Today,” will feature three confirmed panelists: Jane Goodall, Luis Alberto Cordero, executive director of the Arias Foundation; and Jonathan Granoff, executive director of the Global Security Institute.

Afternoon panels will be held throughout the day following lunch. “Reflections of Dr. Schweitzer in Africa,” will feature Rhena Schweitzer Miller, Albert Schweitzer’s daughter; Robert and Sonja Poteau, who run the Schweitzer museum in Gunsbach; Rene Wadlow, who knew Schweitzer in the early 60’s; and Jenifer Grant, whose stepfather was inspired by Schweitzer to start the Hospital Albert Schweitzer in Haiti.

A series of concurrent sessions will be held on Saturday on issues reflecting on, “Schweitzer and Education,” Schweitzer and Health,” “Schweitzer and Philosophy,” and “Schweitzer and the Environment.”

The conclusion of the conference will feature a reception at 5 p.m. at the Albert Schweitzer Institute and a concert at 7 p.m. in Buckman Theater. The concert will feature Schweitzer’s granddaughter Christine Engel and the Stern Quartet Prague.

“I am really looking forward to the conference. It will be such a good experience meeting Jane Goodall and listening to what she has to say. I think every student should attend,” said junior sociology major Christina Mullins.

The conference is free to the public. Students who attend the morning panel will receive a free t-shirt, and students attending the afternoon panels will receive wristbands.