Carvalho’s overtime goal lifts men’s soccer past Yale

Carvalhos overtime goal lifts mens soccer past Yale

Quinnipiac men’s soccer head coach Eric Da Costa was planning on taking Raphael Carvalho out of the game during overtime Friday afternoon.

Carvalho ended up scoring the game-winning goal in the 99th minute, and the Bobcats took down cross-town rival Yale 1-0 at the QU Soccer Field on Friday afternoon.

“I think he helped his teammates and me by scoring before we took him out,” Da Costa said.

Quinnipiac was on the attack for a majority of the first half, as it outshot Yale 5-2 and also got three corner kicks.

The second half brought the Bulldogs some momentum when junior midfielder Tanor Jobe received a red card for a collision with a Yale defender.

“You never want to go a man down in that situation. It wasn’t an intentional foul, but we can’t make mistakes like that,” Da Costa said.

With the Bobcats playing a man down, the Bulldogs were able to fire off a series of shots at Quinnipiac goalkeeper Borja Angoita. The senior made four saves in the second half and kept the Bobcats even in the match.

The closest scoring opportunity Quinnipiac received in regulation came from a Carvalho shot that went off the crossbar.

The game-winner came in the 99th minute, when defender Tobi Esche sent the ball downfield to Carvalho, leaving the senior in a one-on-one situation with Yale goalkeeper Blake Brown.

Carvalho fired the shot into the top right corner of the net, and the Bobcats stormed the field in excitement following the win.

The win comes as the final non-conference tune up game for the Bobcats before entering Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play next week.

“Winning this game with a man down in overtime definitely gives us a good feeling,” Da Costa said.

The Bobcats have now won two straight and improve to 3-4-1 on the season, while the Bulldogs remain winless and fall to 0-5-2.

Quinnipiac opens up MAAC play on Tuesday, as it plays the Niagara Purple Eagles at the QU Soccer Field.