Add classes, drop the stress

The Bobcats are back, and busy as ever. The first day jitters may have passed, but the stress of the school year is very present, and especially for new members of our student body the idea of choosing the wrong classes can be daunting. So here is a hint for anyone having doubts over their class schedules: don’t sweat it, because the process of adding or dropping classes at QU is actually quite simple and painless.

The thing about classes freshman year is that most of the recommended courses are baseline requirements. If a class isn’t right for you at this moment there are others that you need to fulfill, and that may suit your schedule better. The key is to browse the class catalogue to find out what is available before you drop anything.

That being said, it isn’t practical to drop a class that you need if it isn’t necessary. An email to students in the College of Arts and Sciences from Director of Advising Support, Suzanne Solenksy urges you to ascertain that your schedule contains the standard course load of 15-16 credits. If you are really questioning your choice of classes, speak to the professor or your advisor, because they will typically have solid advice that may change your opinion on the subject.

When your mind is made up, it is your responsibility to make the add/drop happen before the registration period ends, or you will end up paying for a course you have no intention of taking. So get on BobcatNet and get started with your rescheduling.

It’s important early on in your educational journey to adjust to the MyQ lifestyle. It’s where you’ll find your schedule, your grades, your emails, and your entry into the add-drop operation. Log on everyday, follow it religiously, and you will know what’s going on here at school.

From the MyQ homepage select the WebAdvisor application on the left side of the screen, and then choose “Registration”. This process is essentially the same as registering for classes in the first place, so it should feel familiar. It’s relatively self-explanatory: if you are looking for classes to add, you can search for them here, and see what is available. If you find something that you are interested in, select it and submit it.

Once you have that covered, you will get the “Register or Drop previously selected sections” page. This will show you your current schedule, as well as the courses you just selected. To ensure that you are able to add and drop both classes, choose register and drop both simultaneously before clicking submit, and your problems are solved.

Don’t let the process of class selection add to the stress of school, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Add/drop isn’t nearly the nightmare you’ve imagined, and as long as you submit your request by 4 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 29, you should be ready to jump into an exciting fall semester.