Super Seniors

Time flies when you are having fun and for some, four years of college just is not enough time anymore. To the students enrolled in intense degree programs who had a little too much fun, traveled the world and took their time completing their degrees, or just wanted a semester off, those four years until graduation seem to be slipping away.

Are students afraid of ‘the real world’, or are they maximizing their time and educational opportunities? The pattern of having an undergraduate degree seems like nothing these days. The trend now is to continue on with even higher education, building upon an undergraduate degree.

“It will be sad next year when all of my friends leave but I feel good about knowing I am getting a great education and will be much more prepared for the real world a few years from now than I would be after next year,” said Mary D’Andrea, a junior physical therapy major.

D’Andrea plans to graduate in 2010 with her masters and doctorate degrees. As a freshman entering the PT program she was under the impression that she would graduate in 2009, but she thinks that the extra degree is worth the additional year.

Vice President and Dean of Admissions, Joan Mohr, said that 30 percent of all incoming freshman will remain at Quinnipiac University for their graduate degrees.

Several of the university’s programs have master degree programs which allow students to continue their education at the university once they have finished an undergraduate degree.

There are fifth year masters programs for teaching and for occupational therapy. The physical therapy program is five and a half years with six and a half years for a doctorate. Quinnipiac also has MBA and MAT programs as well as an affiliate law school.

Christian Shaboo, a senior English major with a double minor in media studies and sociology will be a fifth year student. He is slated to graduate in 2006. His major, however is not what is keeping him at QU.

After starting his undergraduate education at Quinnipiac University in 2001, Shaboo learned a few things about himself. After completing his freshman year, he came to the conclusion that he was not ready for college.

“Soon into my sophomore year I decided to take time off from school, so I withdrew from the university in the spring of 2003,” Shaboo said.

He thinks that the ‘normal’ graduation time frame will be made longer than four years in the future.

“Often times, we as students are rushed into college without knowing where we are going, or what is in store for us,” Shaboo said.

After taking some time off, Shaboo returned to Quinnipiac University in the fall of 2003. One semester behind from the rest of his class, Shaboo decided that it was best for him not to rush his credits and play catch-up but rather take on a second minor and graduate in 2006.

“I love the campus at Quinnipiac and the people who define it; I feel I still have a lot to give back to this university,” Shaboo said.