These boots were made for walkin’

“These boots are made for walking and that’s just what they’ll do; One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you,” sings Jessica Simpson in her music video, “These boots are made for walking,” off the “Dukes of Hazard” sound track.

Simpson isn’t the only sexy cowgirl parading around in brown leather embroidered boot. All over lower Manhattan women can be seen taking a walk in western inspired boots paired with bohemian summer fashion.

Western boots took department stores by storm in Aug. when fall premiers went on display. At Nordstrom’s in the Garden State Plaza, N.J., two tiered tables displayed brown and black, tall and short western boots by Michael Kors and Max Azria’s BCBG. Customers took notice.

Mickael Kors and Max Azria both premiered western inspired shoe lines with urban practicality in mind. Textured ankle boots made from combinations of colored leather and suede for under bootleg jeans. Traditional tall cowboy boots to compliment micro-mini denim skirts and to be worn tucked into long and lean jeans. BCBG’s western inspired line ranges in price from $110 for the “Toom” ankle boot available in brown, black, bronze, and dusty rose to a taller version comparably priced at $200.

These thick-healed pointed toe boots are made for walking. For a comfortable fit buy them a half size bigger to give toes more room. The distressed look is in. Boots become worn, torn, and scuffed there is no need to trade them in just use some saddle soap or baby oil and polish the leather.

Western boots aren’t the only style that has re-emerged this season. UGG r Australia has updated their classic short and long sherling boots made of suede and sheep skin in a variety of new colors and styles. Classic short and tall sherling boots are now available in chestnut, dusk, corn flower blue, orchid pink, raspberry and chocolate brown for $119.95 to $139.95 on www.nordstrom.com.

UGG also introduced the cargo boot, a sleek military inspired sherling with a convenient side pocket and multicolored striped buckle, available for $179.95.

Sherling boots are practical, functional, and fashionable; keeping feet cool in the summer and warm on bitter cold winter days. Colored UGG boots are not meant to match outfits, but they are meant to be worn with skirts, tucked into, or underneath all cuts of jeans.

Fall fashion shows also introduced a new trend in boots this season, flat heeled boots inspired by military parades and motorcycle rallies. These easy to walk in thin heeled boots should fall two inches below the knee and are sophisticated and streetwise, according to Jenny Bailly of Allure magazine.

“Models didn’t have to sacrifice any feminine charm for their newfound sure-footedness,” Bailey said.

Creative director of Calvin Klein collections, Francisco Costa said, “Carmen Kass wore them on the runway with a very daytime cashmere dress, but they also worked with a slim satin cocktail dress-taking the look down a notch,” reports Bailly for the Style 101 column entitled Boot Camp.

Flat-heeled boots are dressy enough to wear with favorite summer dresses for daytime and sophisticated enough for nighttime black tie events, according to Allure magazines tip guide. When picking out jeans to wear with flat-heeled boots look for a slim cut that almost touches the ground in the back or straight leg jeans that can be cuffed up or tucked into boots Straight leg jeans for an equestrian look. Cuffs should be three inches for long legs and no more than two inches if your petite otherwise legs will appear shorter.

Flat-heeled boots are priced significantly higher than most western and sherling styles. Burberry produced a trench-boot with buckle for $575 and Calvin Klein Collections, debuted an exotic alligator flat heeled boot for $5,000.

Protect leather and suede sherling boots with waterproofing spray. If you get caught in a downpour never use a blow dryer or rest boots near a radiator the leather will shrink and soles can come unglued. Wipe boots with a cloth and stuff them with a boot tree or newspaper and let them dry natural and they will be restored.

More tips on how to wear and care for boots can be found in the September edition of Allure magazine.