Primetime fall TV season includes familiar fan favorites

Fall is almost here, and that means cooler days, changing leaves and new TV premieres. With the major networks slowly unveiling their fall primetime lineups, a host of new shows are featured in addition to a healthy helping of popular fan favorites.

“House” follows Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie), a doctor who specializes in diagnostics, taking the cases that no other doctors can diagnose. While he does not have the friendliest personality, he still has a loyal team of young diagnostic doctors with whom he works. Dr. House always manages to find creative and unconventional ways to cure cases with each episode leaving viewers wanting more.

“I watch the show because I find it very interesting and exciting,” said Chelsea Moruzzi, a freshman veterinary technology major. “I’m looking forward to more difficult diagnoses, and House’s sarcastic personality.”

ABC’s breakout hit “Lost” tells the story of a group of travelers whose plane crashes on an uncharted island in the Pacific, leaving them stranded. The survivors are left to fend for themselves in the wilderness, where wild animals are not the only dangers they face.

Nicole Colomonico, a freshman English major, is eager for the new season to begin and for loose ends from last season to be tied up.

“I’m looking forward to finding out a bit more about Kate’s past and also what happens to Walter, his dad, Sawyer, and some of the other characters that went out on the boat and were attacked,” Colomonico said. “I’m also interested to learn more about the polar bears that inhabit the island.”

While the faces of Dominic Monaghan and Josh Holloway may not be so well known to some TV fans, others have been following them for years.

“At first I watched ‘Lost’ because some of the actors that are in ‘Lost’ have been in other shows and movies that I liked, so I thought I’d tune in to ‘Lost’ and see what it was all about,” Colomonico said.

Another primetime success for ABC, “Desperate Housewives,” tells the stories of the women on Wisteria Lane whose lives are not as perfect as they seem. The show is narrated by Mary Alice Young (Brenda Strong), one of the Wisteria Lane neighbors who committed suicide early in the first season. Offering an omniscient view into the lives of all her friends and neighbors, Mary Alice shares the secrets of the seemingly “perfect” lives of the women on Wisteria Lane.

“I watch it because it’s funny and there aren’t too many good shows left. I’m just looking forward to seeing it again because I really like it. Something unexpected always happens and it’s a good way to portray suburban life,” said Ausra Ragauskaite, a senior political science major, of the Sunday night dramedy.

With these returning programs, along with a fresh crop of new shows, viewers will have no problem finding one that suits their television personality.