News outside the Quinnipiac campus

New details on flight 370

Weeks passed since Malaysian Flight 370 went missing, but on Monday the chief of the Australian agency coordinating the flight search said researches have their “most promising lead” thus far, according to NBC. A Chinese ship reached signals from deep below sea level in the Indian Ocean on Saturday. An Australian navy ship also picked up signals in the Indian Ocean on Sunday. The signals were similar to those sent by a flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder, according to CNN. It could take days before the origin of the signals is finalized. The U.S. Navy supervisor said he is cautious and has measurable optimism about the findings, according to CNN.

Supreme Court shuts down case

The Supreme Court shut down an appeal from a photographer on Monday who refused to cover a same-sex marriage ceremony, according to NBC. In September 2006, Vanessa Willock asked Elane Photography in Albuquerque, N.M., to photograph a marriage ceremony between two women. The agency refused and Willock sued. The New Mexico Supreme Court ruled the photography company violated the state’s public accommodation law. The court ruled photography companies can take photos of what they please on their own time, but if they are asked to produce a photograph for business purposes they must do so.

Trinity student assaulted

Police are searching for a group of men who allegedly assaulted a Trinity college student Saturday afternoon, according to the New Haven Register. A man on a bicycle carrying a camera, along with three men in a pickup truck, approached a girl and another female student asking if they wanted to be filmed. One man allegedly groped one of the students, grabbing her arm. The student was able to get away. No arrests have been made yet, according to the New Haven Register.