UK pop import Bedingfield offers personal touch with new music

In September 2004, 22-year-old pop singer Natasha Bedingfield, sister of pop singer Daniel Bedingfield, took the United Kingdom by storm with her first album “Unwritten,” which shot almost immediately to no. 1 on the charts.

Less than a year later Bedingfield’s hit single “These Words” made it across the pond, to be released on U.S. radio stations and music video outlets.

“I love it. It has a good, catchy beat,” said Shoshanna Bailey, a sophomore public relations major of Bedingfield’s new tune.

Born on Nov. 26, 1981, Bedingfield was a member of the Christian worship band The DNA Algorithm with brother Daniel before embarking on her solo career. Originally attending college as a psychology major, Bedingfield soon realized music was her true passion and inked her first record deal in 2003.

As the songbird gains popularity in the States, QU students are eager to find out more about what her music is all about.

“My cousin was in Thailand for a few months and then came here in May,” said Rachel Donovan, a junior management major. “Right around when she got back she asked me if I heard of that song (“These Words”). She had it before they started playing it on the radio. I love that song!”

Bedingfield’s single, “These Words,” debuted at #1 in September 2004 in the UK, earning her a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records along with brother Daniel, as the first siblings to have number one singles in U.K. chart history. In the U.S., the single reached number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 11 on the Pop 100 Singles charts.

“I like the song,” said junior biology and secondary education major Michael Migliore. “It’s very catchy, and almost like Alicia Keys, but with more pop in it.”

“Unwritten” includes 12 tracks, all of which Bedingfield wrote or co-wrote herself. The album’s tracks make up an original mixture of pop and soul, including “Frogs and Princes,” “Size Matters” and the title track “Unwritten,” her rumored second single in the U.S. Bedingfield has just completed her first headlining U.K. tour, and is currently doing a promotional excursion in the U.S. and Canada.

For more information on Natasha Bedingfield, check out www.natashabedingfield.com.