Facilities, Hamden clear snow

UPDATE: 2:40 p.m.

The Facilities department is almost 85 percent done with clearing off the snow on all three campuses, according to facilities.

Facilities is currently widening entrances and clearing areas surrounding residence halls and the Athletic Center, according to Keith Woodward, associate vice president for facilities operations.

“Facilities has worked its way to bare pavement in many spots on all three campuses,” Woodward said.

The university does not have additional facilities staff members working today, but uses MarkLyn Site Contractors, Inc. of Cheshire to help plow the snow, Associate Vice President for Public Relations John Morgan said.

“[MarkLyn Site Contractors, Inc.] has multiple trucks that assist with clearing parking lots and the driveway leading up to York Hill campus,” Morgan said.

Hamden Public Works has had 15 trucks on the roads since midnight plowing snow, according to Director of Public Works Craig Cesare.

The main roads in Hamden are in better condition than the side streets, according to Captain Ronald Smith of the Hamden Police Department.

“The side streets are hazardous and our plows are out there actively plowing the side streets and main roads,” Smith said. “We encourage everybody to stay off the roads for the next few hours if they can for the plows to do their jobs.”

Most of the side streets are open, Cesare said. The town is now focusing on widening and clearing up the secondary roads, he said. Public Works is also in the process of clearing town sidewalks, he said.

No car accidents were reported in Hamden this morning, according to Sergeant John Riordan.

“I think people are staying out of work so that helps,” he said.

With the conditions of the roads, Riordan and Cesare said the university made the right decision to cancel classes today.

“It was very responsible on their part,” Cesare said.

Stay with The Chronicle for updates.

ORIGINAL

snowtickerMegan Maher

“The side streets are hazardous and our plows are out there actively plowing the side streets and main roads,” Smith said.

With the conditions of the roads, Riordan said the university made the right decision to cancel classes today.

“We encourage everybody to stay off the roads for the next few hours if they can for the plows to do their jobs,” Smith said.

Stay with The Chronicle for updates.