Quinnipiac acrobatics & tumbling wins season opener

The Quinnipiac Acrobatics & Tumbling team opened up its season Saturday at the TD Bank Sports Center. The reigning national runners-up won its season opener against the Gannon Knights by a score of 279.575 to 260.895

The Bobcats won all six events against the Falcons in comfortable fashion.

Quinnipiac head coach Mary Ann Powers was pleased with the team’s first performance.

“We had our doubts entering today, but the girls did a great job in every category,” Powers said.

The Bobcats had control of the match from the very beginning of the compulsory event. Across the board, the Bobcats put a 9.55, 9.95, 9.95 and a 9.20 in the four heats.

In Powers’ eyes, Acro was the team’s best event on the day, gathering scores no lower than a 9.40.

“We’ve never been known for our acro, but we did a great job today,” Powers said.

The Pyramid was the only event that Gannon won a heat in, but still lost the total score 28.24 to 28.10.

The Toss and Tumble was all Quinnipiac, winning every heat as it began to run away with the competition following Gannon deductions.

The Bobcats were nearly perfect in the team competition, receiving a score of 99.66.

In Gannon’s first ever meet in the National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association, the Knights kept pace in competing against the talented Bobcats.

“For a first year program with only 13 girls, they did a really great job today,” Powers said.

The Bobcats have off until Feb. 23 when they face Baylor University.