QU students helping Hamden students

Instead of creating elaborate papier-mache or torture devices for roommates, a group of Quinnipiac University students offer a different suggestion for leftover school supplies.

Between April 11 and 15, Order of Omega, the school’s Greek Honor Society, will collect school supplies and spare change to donate to Highville Mustard Seed Charter School. Located in Hamden, the school brings in local as well as New Haven students.

“Its position as a charter school is what makes it such a good candidate for this collection,” Kate Corcoran, an Order member and senior public relations major, said. “The school has to compete at and meet the state levels, but it doesn’t receive the same funding as public schools.”

Assisting in this supply drive are individuals from the newly formed communications honor society Lambda Pi Eta. Corcoran is also a co-president of Lambda Pi Eta and thought the idea of bringing the two honors groups together would be a good idea.

“Lambda Pi Eta isn’t very well known because it’s so new. I wanted to get our name out there, but do something good in the process,” Corcoran said.

Although recognized by the School of Communications, Lambda Pi Eta is still in the process of becoming an official Quinnipiac organization.

Due to the lack of university recognition, the society cannot co-sponsor the supply drive. However, members are helping out individually.

“I am more impressed with the individual effort than just doing it for an event,” Dr. Lisa Burns, an assistant professor of media studies and the faculty advisor for Lambda Pi Eta, said. “[The drive] is similar to what we want to do next year once we become an official organization.”

Boxes will be set up in the residence halls as well as in academic buildings to collect the school supplies and students will be visiting dorms for spare change to put towards a check to be presented to the principal of Highville.