Human Race Machine gives students taste of diversity

Ever wonder what you might look like when you are 45? Or what you would look like if you were a different race? The S.H.A.D.Es. (Students Helping and Advocating Diversity) did.

That is why they decided to give students the chance to do just that by bringing in The Human Race Machine, a contraption that allows a person to scan his or her face onto the screen and see how they would look at different ages, as a different race, or how they would look with a body-altering disease. Couples can even see what their future children will look like.

“The motivation for getting it was to bring an event to campus that would help to promote diversity in a highly interactive setting to encourage student participation,” Andrew Chin, a senior public relations major and student coordinator for S.H.A.D.Es said.

The machine is the same one that the FBI and National Center for Missing and Exploited Children use to find missing persons.

The S.H.A.D.Es executive board and Adjunct Art Professor, Linda Lindroth, helped to bring the machine to Quinnipiac.

“We thought it would be a good idea since students always want to see so much,” Chin said.

The large machine was parked in the Student Center amongst the tables where students were able to use it from 9 to 3:30 p.m. throughout last week. It received an overwhelming response.

“About 400 people ended up using it,” Chin said. “The aging feature was definitely the most popular. I guess it’s because everyone is curious to see the inevitable.”

All fun aside, Chin and the rest of the club hope that the machine will increase awareness and tolerance amongst the Quinnipiac student body.

“Our hope is that it will create a buzz and open up people’s mindset of what it is like to be a different race, even if it’s only for five minutes,” Chin said.