CAP hosts annual Helping Hands Day

Community Action Project members and volunteers hosted their annual Helping Hands event Saturday, Sept. 14, in the greater Hamden and New Haven area.

The event was established in order to offer a “helping hand” to the  community.

CAP is a community service organization dedicated to granting students with the opportunities to give back. The organization regularly hosts events to promote this objective and generate as many volunteers and supporters as possible. Helping Hands is just one of the organization’s many events that endorses this mission.

“Helping Hands is a way to give back,” sophomore event co-chair Jenna Bedard said. “Sometimes we get a bad rep as college students living in Hamden but it shows how caring we can be and the things we are willing to do.”

At the event, students met at the Rocky Top Student Center before breaking into groups to complete three hours of community service.

Students were encouraged to sign up at tables or online on Do You QU beforehand, sophomore and co-chair Kaitlin Cotter said.

“[We did this] to try and spread the word as much a we could,” Cotter said.

Although fewer students volunteered this year, CAP still considered the event successful.

“It’s really rewarding for me and for everyone else involved,” Bedard said. “It’s just a really good way to show that you can have fun while doing community service, and it could be a really fun day, hanging out with your friends while doing something for the community.”

[polldaddy poll=7410131]