Showtime at Alumni Hall: Apollo Night huge success

There was a little touch of Harlem on campus Friday night as Alumni Hall transformed into the Apollo Theater.

The Black Student Union sponsored Apollo Night, a two and a half hour show featuring a wide variety of talented performers in honor of Black History Month.

Hosting the event was Michael Blackson, a comedian who has appeared on BET’s “Comic View” and in the movie “Next Friday.” Blackson kept the crowd pumped between acts with his comedy sketches, ranging everywhere from the draft to hip hop celebrities.

At one point, Blackson joked about rapper 50 Cent. “His son is a quarter, his father is a dollar bill, his sister is 40 cents and his mother is food stamps,” Blackson said.

Senior public relations major Moses Beckett started off the night singing “Stupid Things” while his cousin accompanied on the piano. Other singers, such as Shaelene McGuiness, had a band behind them. McGuiness and guitarists Matt and Paul Mertz performed “No Rain” by Blind Melon.

Students were not the only people to participate in the evening’s festivities. Assistant Professor of English Timothy Dansdill performed a politically motivated set that included protest songs such as Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On.”

Stirring up the show were sophomores David Scott and Tim Murray who proved that break dancing is not a thing of the past.

Dance Mode kept the crowd pumped throughout the night. The group opened the show, performed during intermission and closed out the evening.

Even with the diversity of the acts, it was the last two performances that stole the show.

Mike Clancey took second place for the evening and $100 after dazzling the crowd with his high-speed glow string performance. Ali Williams, the final contestant of the evening, won the evening and $200 after her rendition of “Beautiful Disaster,” which was accompanied on guitar by another contestant, Mike Patrick.

Clancey, a junior media production major, has been working on his talent for about four years. When asked why he entered the contest, “I just saw the flyer and thought it would be interesting,” Clancey said.

The audience loved this year’s show. “My favorite was Mike Clancey, but everyone was so good. This was the best Apollo Night I’ve seen,” Ranetta Meade, junior psychology major, said

Rosa Nieves, junior sociology major, summed it all up nicely. “I thought it was great. A lot of fun and high energy,” Nieves said.