Students take advantage of Career Fair

Quinnipiac’s recreation center was filled with suits, ties and resumes as the 2005 Career Fair got underway on Feb. 17.

This year saw an increase of almost 50 percent in the number of companies present with 154 companies represented. Career Services organizes this event each year.

Assistant Director of Career Programs Michael Minutoli sees the fair as a great opportunity for students.

“I think it’s mostly providing students with part-time, full-time internships or summer jobs,” Minutoli said. “It also gives them the opportunity to make contacts with organizations and connect to branches across the country.”

Americorp’s Amanda Mazzola, a member of Quinnipiac’s class of 2004, was recruiting students at the fair to become part of the 2005-2006 MACC Americorp.

“Even though we are only accepting applications, I’ve seen some really promising people,” Mazzolla said.

Anne Wrobel, a junior public relations major, said the career fair was a great experience.

“It’s given me the opportunity to talk to professionals in their designated fields,” Wrobel said.

Junior media production major Karla Wood felt that the fair was beneficial.

“[Employers] tend to hire people who are more personable and actually meet with them rather than just emailing them,” Ward said.

Stephen Hoitt of Boy Scouts of America, who has been to the last four fairs, said he was given a great opportunity to recruit workers.

“For us it’s really just being able to get workers for part-time, full-time, and summer jobs,” Hoitt said. “It’s a really fun thing to come back to each year.”