Make your Cafe food fancy

As the school year proceeds, the cafeteria menu becomes very uninspired. The same food gets cooked and served to us on a rarely-changing loop. Why not spice up the day-to-day cafe menu by adding a few healthy ingredients?

[media-credit name=”Katie O” align=”aligncenter” width=”300″][/media-credit]Just an apple?

Add peanut butter + craisins

Peanut butter is not only heavenly, but it also keeps you fuller longer. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, however, the simple sugars make you hungrier. Decorate the apple with a slab of peanut butter and a condiment cup of craisins.

Just a bag of chips?

Add cream cheese + beans

Create your very own make-shift bean dip for your lonely bag of chips. Mix the beans from the salad bar and the cream cheese from the yogurt counter and dip away!

Just a cup of coffee?

Add brown sugar + vanilla silk soy milk + cup of ice

Make your own iced coffee without waiting in the Au Bon Pain line. Nab some brown sugar next to the oatmeal and cup of Silk soy milk for a sweet treat without the empty calories.

[media-credit name=”Katie O” align=”aligncenter” width=”300″][/media-credit]Just a bagel?

Add chive & onion cream cheese + cherry tomatoes +  snap peas

Tired of cream cheese? Yeah, so is your bagel. Instead of reaching for the regular, bland cream cheese, grab a more savory flavor like chive and onion. Toast your bagel and smooth a small amount of cream cheese, snap peas and sliced cherry tomatoes. Now throw them all together for a delicious take on a boring breakfast.

Just a bowl of cereal?

Add strawberries + blueberries

Make sure to get your superfruits in the morning! Blueberries are known to make you focus better. The best results are with Kashi Go Lean Crunch, find the berries near the yogurt bar.

Just a fruit cup?

You can turn it into an even sweeter dessert with a dollop of whipped cream, which you can find right near condiments in the cooler area.

Just Veggies?

Add a splash of water +a glass bowl

Instead of eating veggies raw, try using the microwave to steam them. Go to the salad bar, grab a glass bowl, put a little bit of water on the bottom of the bowl and steam up the greens. This could even work with spinach with a sprinkling of salt.

Just a tortilla?

Add veggies, cheese, tomato and olive oil

Make your own tortilla pizza. Put the olive oil on a tortilla, put it through the toaster oven,  then put the tomatoes, veggies and cheese on it and put it in the microwave. This will not only save you the trouble of waiting in line for a pizza, but it is also fresher and better for you. The salad bar regularly has olive oil near the other dressings and has all of the veggies you could want.  Be sure to ask the sandwich counter for mozzarella and a tortilla.