Men’s, women’s track run wild at NEC Championship

Junior Katie Gwyther’s dominance over the Northeast Conference [NEC] continued on Sunday as she blew away the field in the women’s one mile final to take home the blue ribbon. Gwyther set a new school and conference record as she ran a blazing 4:57.77. Gwyther qualified for the ECAC Championships surpassing the qualifying time by more than three seconds. Junior Jenna Nechamen also ran in the one mile final and she finished with a time of 5:21.73.

Gwyther ran 5:16.11 to win her qualifying heat the previous day, and she was obviously saving plenty of energy to win the finals by nine seconds.

Also running well for the women was junior Joanna Perez in the 800 meter as she looked to break her two week old school record. Perez came up just shy in winning the race as well as breaking her record. As she finished in second place with a time of 2:19.45, and just missing her record be four tenths of a second. Sophomore Erin O’Connell finished fourth in the 800 with a time of 2:20.02.

The women’s distance medley relay team finished first as they set a new school record when they destroyed the competition with a time of 12:13.68. The team betterd their competition by 24 seconds.

Freshman Caitlin Brady finished fourth in the 3000 meter with a time of 10:28.43.

The women finished in eighth place with 42 points.

The men’s team has been plagued with an injury ridden season, but coach Shawn Green was confident that the healthy competitors would have a strong showing, and senior Gregory Toomey led the way finishing third in the 3000 meter with a time of 8:33.02. In fifth place with a time of 8:35.04, was freshman Jacob Gurzler who finished in seventh with a time of 8:38.54.

Both Toomey and Brink also had strong showings in the one mile as they finished in fourth and fifth with times of 4:17.44 and 4:18.06.

Gurzler also had an outstanding showing in the 5000 meter as he finished in third with a time of 14:58.72. Freshman Alexander Grout finished in sixth place in the 800 meter.

Quinnipiac’s distance medley relay team also finished in first place with a time of 10:23.8. The men finished in seventh place overall with 40 points.