Quinnipiac women’s soccer ties Holy Cross

The Quinnipiac women’s soccer team improved to 0-3-1 today against the Holy Cross Crusaders with a 0-0 tie at the QU Soccer Field in Hamden, Conn.

Despite going the full 90 minutes and two overtime periods, both the Bobcats and the Crusaders couldn’t put the ball in the net. Sophomore goalkeeper Natalia Grodzki came away with the shutout, the third of her career. The Bobcats took 12 shots on the day, the only one shot on goal coming from sophomore Amanda Barroca.

Despite not getting the win, Quinnipiac head coach Dave Clarke was pleased with the performance from the Bobcats today.

“We had the ball in the final third, but we did not create enough clear cut chances so you can’t say that you deserved to win the game,” Quinnipiac head coach Dave Clarke said. “I think in time the goals will come.”

Both teams had several scoring opportunities throughout the contest. The top scoring chance was a shot off the crossbar from Crusader freshman Claire Malone with two minutes to play in regulation. The last opportunity that the Bobcats had came from junior forward Christina Cesarini, when she tried to put it in with her left foot. Both teams had additional chances, including a cross from freshman Kristina Bronkowski with 15 minutes left in regulation.

“We broke the cycle, yeah we want to win, but that’s a game you don’t want to lose,” Clarke said.

It was clear that the Bobcats were feeling fatigued in the late stages of the game.

“We were asking for a lot of running today, we played at five on Friday so we had less than 48 hours to rest,” Clarke said.

Quinnipiac will head to Vermont when it takes the Catamounts on Sept. 13. Kickoff is slated for 4 p.m.