Three commencement ceremonies for 2014

The university will hold three commencement ceremonies for the graduation of the Class of 2014 on May 18, according to a press release.

The School of Business and School of Communications will graduate at 9:30 a.m. At 2 p.m. the School of Nursing and School of Health Sciences ceremony will take place. The ceremony for the College of Arts and Science is scheduled for 6 p.m.

This is the first year that the university will have three ceremonies instead of two.

“By moving to three ceremonies, the university is able to ensure the safety and comfort of each of our graduates, as well as their families and friends,” Lynn Bushnell, vice president for public affairs and chair of the university’s commencement committee said. “Students made clear that it is very important that the exercises remain on the Quadrangle, that each graduate’s name is read as he or she walks across the stage and that a keynote address is delivered at each ceremony. With this change, we are able to accommodate each of these wishes.”

Senior Ian Jackson is torn about the university’s decision.

“I don’t know how I feel about it,”Jackson said. “I wanted to be able to go to all the ceremonies, but I don’t want to stay the whole day.”

Senior Taylor Fitzpatrick will graduate at 6:30 p.m., but his twin brother will graduate at 9:30 a.m.

“I think it would be more convenient if it were at the same time just so we can get out of here, but if it is shorter then I’m completely fine with that,” he said. “If it is faster that is all that matters.”

The ceremonies will take place on the Quad, but in the event of rain, commencement will be moved to the TD Bank Sports Center. Students will receive four tickets to the ceremony to be used if commencement is held at the TD Bank Sports Center.

“We firmly believe that these changes will make the 2014 Commencement Exercises a special day for each graduate and all of the family members for whom this day carries so much meaning,” Bushnell said.