Exploring your future potential, care of Career Services

The Quinnipiac University Career Center is hosting the Career Explorers Program for all students interested in learning what major suits them best and how to develop skills in their chosen major.

Students are assigned to a career consultant to help them develop a personalized and individualized Career Action Plan. The two consultants are Susan Hyde-Wick, assistant director of career development, and Mike Minutoli, assistant director of career programs. Hyde-Wick also developed the program.

Through career counseling and the use of interest and personality assessments such as DISCOVER, an online career guidance system, students can determine their most compatible major. Job shadowing and internship opportunities are also available to participants.

The Career Explorers Program uses a guided checklist to help each student stay on track and see their progress each year.

“The checklist focuses on several areas including academics, activities, experiences, career and leadership. Students are encouraged to meet with faculty, alumni or upperclassmen to learn about majors that interest them and join clubs to get involved on campus,” Hyde-Wick said.

Sophomore advertising major Jenna DePutron already took part in this program. “I decided to attend the Career Explorers Program because I felt lost without a major. The program was extremely helpful and I would absolutely recommend this program,” DePutron said.

Career Explorers recently helped DePutron switch into the School of Business and declare a major. “There are so many resources that are used to help you. There are assessments to help distinguish what your strengths and weaknesses are, what job fields correspond with your results, one-on-one career counseling, seminars, workshops and so much more,” DePutron said.

Candi Amore, junior sociology major, appreciated all that the program offered her when she attended. “As an undeclared major I had no idea what I wanted to major in. The program helped me to narrow down my choices. Through taking different career inventories and talking with other people in the program, I was able to decide my major,” Amore said.

“The Career Explorers Program is very informative. I would definitely recommend the program to anyone who wants to learn more about the different majors that Quinnipiac has to offer. If you want to learn more about your strengths and get a better idea of where you are going in the future, Career Explorers is definitely for you,” Amore said.

Registration for the Career Explorers Program runs Feb. 7 at 6 p.m., Feb. 8 at 4 p.m., Feb. 9 at 6 p.m., Feb. 10 at 11:30 a.m., Feb. 14 at 6 p.m. and Feb. 16 at 5 p.m. Students should RSVP by sending an email to [email protected] with their name, year, phone number, possible major and session they plan to attend. All registration sessions will take place in the conference room of the Counseling and Career Center.

Along with the Career Explorers Program, the Career Center is sponsoring a Career Fair on Feb. 17 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the recreation center. Students of all majors are encouraged to attend the event. For more information, call the Career Center at x8680.