A ‘Rowe’-sing success

Boston Red Sox’ head athletic trainer Jim Rowe addressed students in Burt Kahn Court on Jan. 25.

Rowe spoke of his schedule with the Red Sox, commenting that days during spring training generally begin in Fort Myers at “5:30 a.m., and don’t end until after 10 or 11, depending on if [he] wants dinner.”

He then discussed opportunities to break in at his level and was adamant in stating the growing opportunities for women in the professional level. The Red Sox offer six month paid internships to athletic trainers who are either certified or near certification.

Rowe answered his cell phone during his talk, explaining that he was on-call 24 hours a day for the organization regardless of what he was doing.

During game six of the American League Championship Series this season, Curt Schilling required three sutures to hold his tendon in place. Rowe spoke briefly about this injury and the various other solutions tried before a doctor presented this option.

The worst injuries Rowe has seen were pitcher Bryce Florie’s line drive to the eye in 2000 and when Johnny Damon collided with second baseman Damian Jackson while chasing a fly ball during the 2003 American League Division Series. “It was so quiet in that stadium I could have dropped my keys and heard it,” he said.

Rowe also spoke about the personal life of an athletic trainer. “You’ll really grow up fast and have a great time in this level if you want to see the country,” he said. “But if you like staying closer to home, well you’ll figure that out right away.”

He said that his daughter has been in almost every city in the United States, and “at six years old is already ordering lobster when we go out to eat.”

When asked what the biggest difference is between the professional level of sports and clinical based settings, he smiled and said that it all depended on personal preference. For him it was because he loved being outside. “I could hold practice right now in this cold,” he said, “as long as I was warm enough.”

Rowe was invited to speak by Gordon Hurlbert, ATC (Certified Athletic Trainer). Athletic director Jack McDonald introduced Rowe, who was then presented a Bobcats’ t-shirt and a WQUN Red Sox hat.