Quinnipiac’s lock-out fee is unnecessary

Since my arrival at Quinnipiac University, I have never been so satisfied and content with an important decision that I made in my life. This place has everything I could ever want in a school, and I am extremely happy being here. However, I have discovered one issue that I find to be extremely absurd.

I’ve recently discovered that QU has a nice new way to put more of our money in their pockets. Apparently, if a student gets locked out of his or her dorm room more than twice, they are required to pay a fee of $50.00 every time they are locked out after the first two.

Am I the only person who thinks that that is the most outrageous thing they’ve ever heard? Is it really that big of an inconvenience to have security take the two minute walk from their office to, say, Commons, or Mountainview, or Larson? Are they not getting paid enough? There must be some reason why such a fee is taken, and I would like to know what that is.

When I found out that this school was going to cost me and my parents somewhere around $34,000 (not including books, Q Cash, and a meal plan), I found it very difficult to choose to come here. As much as my parents urged me to come because they knew the quality of education I would receive here, they knew as well as I did how much of a financial toll it was going to take on our family and my father’s business.

Not to mention the fact that I also have a sister attending a private university in upstate New York which also take a huge chunk out of the retirement plan. To have these fines, fees, and outrageous prices is an absolute sham.

I do understand that it is the responsibility of the student to always carry their Q-Card with them at all times, and that the rule was instituted for those students that are careless and get locked out day after day after day. But fifty dollars? Fifty dollars. A fifteen dollar fine sounds okay, fifteen dollars max.

What happens when someone goes to take a shower or go to the bathroom and their roommate leaves to go to class, not realizing that their roommate doesn’t have their key? Students lose fifty dollars because of a simple miscommunication. In reality, not everyone here can afford to go here. In fact, I’ll be lucky if I can squeeze four years of tuition out of mine and my family’s financial plan, not even thinking about the $5.50 steak sandwiches with a $3.00 drink (Yes, I think that the food is overpriced. Very tasty, but overpriced).

I’m not trying to put down the school because like I said, I absolutely love this place. I love the people, the campus, the classes; I love almost everything about it. I just think that there are some things that should be modified, especially when it comes to finances. Because in all honesty, if they really need the extra $50.00, then what are they doing with my 34 grand?