Making decisions

A poet once said that “he has achieved success who lived well, laughed often and loved much; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task.” At Quinnipiac University, students from far and wide, all with various goals, come to do one thing: accomplish their task. Whether their task is to be a public relations major or a Spanish minor, students have a common ground at QU: to learn and to be successful.

Sophomore marketing major, Jackie MacDonald, said her task here at Quinnipiac is to be involved in marketing as much as possible.

“I plan to join the marketing club in the near future, for opportunity and experience,” MacDonald said.

When asked why she wants to go into marketing, MacDonald replied enthusiastically: “I’ve always wanted to be a marketing major, from the moment I looked at this school.”

MacDonald says that it is her love for retail that makes her perfect for a marketing career.

“One day I want to be a buyer and seller; I like fashion and retail – and I think that a lot of it has to do with marketing,” MacDonald said.

Unlike MacDonald, some students are still in the process of deciding how to accomplish their task. Sophomore Jennifer Mazzamurromo is an undecided business major; however, she asserts that by the end of this year, she will know what she wants to be involved in.

“I’m enjoying my classes, visiting majors fairs, and getting a good idea of what I do or do not like,” she said. “If this is going to be something that I will be setting myself up to do for the rest of my life, I want to make sure that it’s something I truly want to do,” Mazzamurromo said.

For sophomore Jeff Reisner, choosing a major was more a matter of the heart. “I picked my major because it just felt natural for me,” Reisner, a business management and sociology major, said. “I picked my major by following my instinct, my heart, and what I truly can see myself doing.”

Sophomores Julie Preston and Joshua Shultz both are public relations majors who switched into that program this year.

“I switched this year because I felt that PR was a more practical, interesting, and opportunistic field for me,” Preston said.

Shultz said he felt confident about his choice.

“This is what I was supposed to do all along, it just took some time before I figured it out,” Shultz said.

Senior Jennifer Hannon is set to graduate in the spring. Hannon said that all it took was one class, and she was hooked.

“I took Sociology 101 and I loved it, and ever since second semester, freshman year, I have declared my major as sociology,” Hannon said. “Even though at times it can be challenging, it’s worth it because I find it so interesting.”

So whether a senior, junior, sophomore or freshman, all students are faced with the ultimate task of finding a major that satisfies them. Yet, they are in good hands. Quinnipiac University provides a true common ground for all students to come here and find their own piece of success.