Center for Excellence presents honors to six

Pictured in photo: 2004 Center for Excellence award winners front row (l to r): Excellence in Service to Students Award recipients Marisa Melillo; Patricia Hayes; and Ilena Andrich ’01. Back row (l to r): Excellence in Teaching Award recipient Mark Johnston and Alexander Meiklejohn; President John L. Lahey; and Excellence in Teaching Award recipient Donn Johnson.
    Photo courtesy QUDaily

Quinnipiac University held the Excellence in Teaching and Service to Students reception dinner on Thursday, Oct. 21.

It was an event enjoyed by many of the University’s diverse faculty and staff, especially those honored as recipients for this year’s awards.

Nominated by Quinnipiac students, economics professor Donn Johnson, English professor Mark Johnston and law professor Alexander Meiklejohn, received Excellence in Teaching Awards.

“Knowing that my students think I’m a good teacher,” is all that matters, Jonhson said.

Johnson was praised for teaches his students to understand problems through analytical context rather than memorizing information.

In a humble manner, Johnson reiterates that “if I hadn’t won anything, I would still be happy.”

His students’ opinion and this nomination mean more than anything in his ninth year teaching economics at the Quinnipiac University Lender School of Business.

Coordinated by Suzanne Shaw, the Recreation Center was unrecognizable, converted into a room with decorative star shaped lights, appetizers and cocktails for the night.

“I can’t believe it’s actually the Rec Center! It’s so beautiful,” Kathleen M. Swift, sophomore health science major, said. Swift also represented the Student Government Association as the sophomore class vice president at the event.

“[Quinnipiac is] like a second home,” Ilena Andrich, secretary for the campus reservation and information, said.

After her two years here, Andrich received the Excellence in Service Award and is delighted to be working at the Student Center because she is enjoys working and helping students.

“I am there just for them,” Andrich said.

Andrich was just one of three to receive this Excellence in Service to Students Award.

Other recipients include Marissa Melilo, postal service specialist and Patricia Hayes, accounting secretary in the Bursar’s Office.

Melillo felt overwhelmed by the entire event. “it is a beautiful transformation, especially being surrounded by friends and family,” she said of the Recreation Center and audience.

Melillo has been working at Quinnipiac for 18 years and says she honestly feels that every year gets better.

Mark Johnston, English professor, said he is “very gratified to receive the award.”

Johnston has been teaching at Quinnipiac since 1977 and received the Faculty of the Year Award two years ago.

His students are aware of this honor and are happy for him, especially after he cancelled class for the event.

Johnston cannot ask for a more ideal job: “I love it. I love my students,” he said.

Professor Johnston is “personable to students, he makes an effort to know everyone in the class,” Kerry L. Carrera, senior public relations major, said, who is currently taking his Greek Poetry class.

The event concluded with a dinner.

The six recipients’ names and their honors were engraved as a commemorative inscription on a stone tablet now located on the first floor of the Arnold Bernhard Library.