Alpha Chi Omega to host annual Frisbee Fest

Members of Alpha Chi Omega, one of the sororities here on campus, have recently experienced sweet success in fundraising efforts due in large part to a donation from Nestle.

According to Kate Corcoran, senior public relations major and philanthropy chair for Alpha Chi Omega, Nestle donated $5,000 to help support the sororities’ efforts in the fight against domestic violence, the Alpha Chi national philanthropy.

“We wrote a letter explaining our purpose,” Corcoran said. “We told them how strong we feel about our cause and how important the fight against domestic violence is to our chapter. I think Nestle realized not only what an important cause it is to us, but also to the community as a whole.”

Paul Converse, Vice President and Managing Director of Nestle, at the second annual Frisbee Fest, which the ladies will host on Sunday, October 10, 2004 on the Quinnipiac University quad, will present a check to the sorority.

The Frisbee Fest will begin at noon and the check, which will be given to the Greater New Haven Shelter for Domestic Violence, will be presented by Converse at 3 p.m.

Other sponsors of the event include Pepsi, The New York Yankees, the Fox television show “America’s Most Wanted,” Federal Express, Juicy Couture, and Morgan’s Hotel of New York City.

“I think it’s a great thing that such big corporations have shown interest in our cause,” Meredith Roberts, junior public relations major and Alpha Chi Omega member, said.

The Frisbee Fest will be much more than a Frisbee game this year. The event, which is open to both the Quinnipiac community and surrounding town members, will include activities such as “Pie an Alpha Chi,” a dunk tank, three live bands, and a large ultimate Frisbee tournament.

“I think it’s important to hold this event because it’s a great way to get the school and the community involved in raising awareness for domestic violence in a fun way,” Roberts said.

“Every year we are trying to make it more and more like a festival in order to make it more entertaining for the school and the community, which gets the word of Alpha Chi’s mission out into the community.”

There will also be raffles for such items as a $500 gift certificate for Morgan’s hotel, a nine pound chocolate bar from Nestle, two New York Yankees tickets and a Juicy Couture outfit.

Along with games and prizes there will be food for both students and local residents to enjoy. All proceeds from the event aid in the fight against domestic violence.

The sisters of Alpha Chi have been preparing for the event in hopes to raise more awareness about this issue around campus.

“We have girls dorm storming; we have tables set up in the student center selling raffle tickets. People have also been donating a dollar to have their name put on a purple ribbon that symbolizes their support for the fight against domestic violence,” Roberts said.

“It is a serious issue that more people need to gain knowledge about.”

To the sisters of Alpha Chi Omega, the cause is a very personal one and the sorority makes many attempts throughout the year to raise money for the shelter.

“We chose this New Haven shelter because it’s close to us so that makes it more accessible. It also helps women in our area,” Corcoran said. “The women are so close to us that they could be our mothers, sisters or friends.”

“We lost one of our sisters from our chapter here at Quinnipiac University in a domestic violence dispute. This is something that is very near and dear to our hearts.”

Along with The Frisbee Fest, the sorority also holds a fashion show, which was held this past September, where proceeds also go to benefit the Greater New Haven Domestic Violence Shelter.

While solely Alpha Chi Omega hosts the annual Frisbee Fest, throughout the year there is collaboration with the other Greek organizations on campus to help raise funds for such an important organization in this day and age.

“We also volunteer at the boys and girls club in New Haven,” Corcoran said. “We make gifts for the children at the domestic violence shelter. We also prepare toiletries for the women at the shelter. We do tons of various other things for the community.”

For more information regarding the Frisbee fest, please contact Kate Corcoran at [email protected].