New age of communications

This is the age of communications. People communicate using various ways of technology such as: the telephone, fax machines and cell phones etc.

The most used source of communication today is through the use of the computer. Different computer programs such as America Online, Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, and a wide variety of e-mail providers puts people in each other’s bedrooms, living rooms, and Quinnipiac dorms. The postal system is not used as frequently unless parents are sending packages for a birthday etc. These days’ letters to loved ones are being sent via email.

Tia Monae, a sophomore and e-media major feels that the computer helps her keep in touch with friends and family.

“Face to face communication is very important, but when distance is a factor, instant messenger is very helpful.

Instant messenger keeps me in contact daily with all of my friends and family who are far away, at college or on business,” Monae said.

Monae feels it is a helpful too but does have some negative aspects.

“I like it a lot, but I think it makes people lazy. Society as a whole is becoming lazy because we strongly rely on technology,” Monae said. “There is no harm in instant messaging; it is a quicker way of communicating, as long as we get to speak to our loved ones. The source of communication really should not matter in my opinion.”

Whether or not this type of communication is seen as a good or a bad thing depends on the individual. Some people may feel that instant messenger and email is not a conversation at all. Others may see it at as a way to communicate fast and to be able to leave messages with people, instead of calling when they are not reachable.

Writing skills surely may be flying out the door since many instant messages are not written in proper English. Terms like “lol” (laugh out loud) and “brb” (be right back) are used and without punctuation so often that people may forget how to write a proper letter anymore. There are many pros and cons of instant messaging but what people side with most is the key to the future of this type of communication.

“I think instant messenger is a useful and inexpensive tool for people to get in touch with each other,” said Mark Antonucci, a sophomore and marketing major,” However over use of instant messenger can become a detriment to a person in how they speak and act in society and to the extent on how they write.”

People may actually use their instant messenger service to communicate with people about topics that they may be too afraid to confront in a face-to-face conversation. People may take on an outgoing personality and in the real world be very shy individuals. This is a negative aspect of instant messenger because people can begin to lose touch with reality. They may forget who they really are. This is a reason why children should not fool around with the internet because they get so caught up in friendly chatting that they don’t realize that sick people can create personalities that are likeable to children and take advantage of them.

While most students can be seen typing to friends, some students feel there are better ways to communicate.

John Fuhrman, a sophomore and finance major, said, “I think instant messenger has a negative effect on how people communicate. People can be more open on instant messenger because they know they do not have to face the person they are talking to or see there reaction.”

“People rely too much on other means of communication and it hurts people by not being able to communicate one-on-one. They also lose how to be able to communicate problems, feelings, or to just have a regular conversation,” Fuhrman said.

With technology increasing, more e-mails being sent and buddy lists getting longer, communicating through the computer will be staying around for a while.