Dudra reflects on four years

Four years later – what a difference!

As I reach my final days in office I’d like to reflect on the past couple of years. It seems like just yesterday that the class of 2004 walked through the Quinnipiac doors and began dealing with our first campus issue, a proposal to keep May Weekend.

Since then, we have worked on anything from public disclosure of security reports, to placing vending machines in the College of Liberal Arts, to getting more student involvement in Midnight Madness. The worries of yesterday’s seniors have been dealt with, changes have been made, and new issues are being resolved.

Like Quinnipiac University, your Student Government has come a long way. SGA has been taking on new tasks such as chartering new organizations, submitting campus issues online and reallocating money to media organizations.

Relationships with organizations and other departments have been a big accomplishment of SGA over the years. Chartwells has meetings with a committee of concerned students. Faculty Senate meetings are welcoming our students and through our involvement, members are now sitting on some sub-committees to offer a student perspective and voice.

When the student body disagreed with the alcohol policies, your SGA had focus groups, students on the advisory board, and lots of input making the newer policy focus on responsibility rather than fines. Thanks to the pleas of its students, a shuttle system now runs to New Haven providing safe transportation; something that, believe it or not, is only 2 years old.

When athletics needed help picking the mascot and finding him a name, Student Government stepped up to the plate. When the campus issue was lack of pride for our athletic programs, the Bobcat Ad hoc committee proposed changing the image of the Rathskellar and Dorm Road. Today, Bobcat Road [sic] is full of paw prints and the Den has the appearance of a sports bar.

As the student center became overcrowded, an Ad hoc committee presented a proposal to the Dean of Students for a new Student Center with more to offer its students. It was so impressive that President Lahey put our presentation on the agenda for the Board of Trustees Meeting. SGA will continue to push for the renovation.

To many of you Student Government might be nonexistent, but to the 40 devoted members that join me every Wednesday at 4:15, their goal is to make this campus a better place for you, its students.

It has been my pleasure serving you as the president of the student body for the past two years. I’d like to thank the executive board and members of Student Government for all their hard work, dedication and commitment to making Quinnipiac a better place. Thank you for the opportunity and good luck in all your future endeavors.

To SGA 2004-5: Leaving with nothing but utter confidence in the organizations future, I cannot wait to see all that you continue to accomplish for our students. Keep up the good work!