12 STUDENTS DISMISSED

Twelve Quinnipiac students have been expelled from Quinnipiac for their involvement in illegal activities last month, according to the New Haven Register and Associated Press. The students were all involved in an off-campus party where beer and marijuana were seized. John Morgan, a university spokesman told the Register, “All the students responsible were dismissed. The University does not tolerate the illegal use and sale of drugs or alcohol.”

However, Morgan would not comment regarding the students’ rights to appeal or re-apply to Quinnipiac. Also in question is whether seniors who had completed their coursework at the University will be permitted to receive their degrees.

James DeLuca of Valley Stream, N.Y., was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to sell, operating a drug factory, possession of more than 4 ounces of marijuana and procuring alcohol for a minor, according to the Register.

Don Cretella, DeLuca’s attorney, would not comment on the specifics of the case but did say that his client was upset by Quinnipiac’s decision.
    The students were originally arrested on April 23 after Police entered the home at 3335 Whitney Ave., a property not owned by Quinnipiac. At the home, police seized 30 kegs of beer, $3000 and approximately two pounds of marijuana. Because there was a fee charged for the party and no permit was held, the beer was illegal.

However, Hamden Police Lt. Richard Dunham said the organizers of the party had approached the department to discuss a permit. However, the organizations never returned to receive local approvals that include the chief of police and the fire marshal.

In addition to DeLuca, eleven others were charged with procuring alcohol for a minor and dispensing liquor without a permit. Dennis Dobson of Fairfield was charged with possession of marijuana and Matthew Page of Hamden was charged with failure to keep drugs in their original container, according to Register reports.

Information provided by the New Haven Register.

Stay tuned to the Chronicle and QUChronicle.com for the latest developments in the developing story.

Do the students deserve to be expelled? What should happen to the seniors? Should they be allowed to graduate? Please e-mail your thoughts to [email protected] and they may appear on QUChronicle.com.