A look at Multicultural Mondays

The first year of the Multicultural Mondays program, designed to educate the Quinnipiac campus about diversity, has been a success.

Many of Quinnipiac’s clubs have teamed up to give our community a chance to be exposed to cultural diversities.

Nearly every Monday this past year, an educational program has been available on campus.

“We have had everything from a drumming group, to speakers, dancers, performers, martial artists, a cultural fashion show, Chinese acrobats, movies and readings,” Andrew Chin, the student coordinator of S.H.A.D.E.S., said.

The program was formulated last spring with the help of John Kroll, Kerstin Soderlund and the S.H.A.D.E.S., Students Helping to Advocate Diversity Education, student group.

S.H.A.D.E.S. is a student group dedicated to diversity education.

They Co-sponsor most of the events with other campus groups such as A.S.P.A, the Latino Cultural Society, the Martial Arts Club, A.M.I.C.I, G.L.A.S.S., among others.

“We’re kind of the U.N. of those organizations,” Chin said.

The Multicultural Monday program was designed to push faculty and students to think about diversity. It is not just for students on campus, anyone who is part of the Quinnipiac community is welcome.

“The program is aimed at the whole student body, faculty, professors, anyone who wants to care and learn about diversity,” Chin said.

Many diversity issues have been addressed throughout this year’s Multicultural Monday events. In the fall, Hillel and G.L.A.S.S., Gay, Lesbian and Straight Supporters, teamed up and invited a Jewish lesbian speaker, Leslea Newman, to speak in Buckman Theater.

Some RAs required their floor to attend these presentations. Pete Gallay, sophomore and a commons RA required his floor to attend.

“There were a few indications that we needed something different and this was a very diverse program. I thought that it would help because we have some Jewish guys but most of them didn’t know about the aspect of homosexuality,” Gallay said.

The program has had great support from faculty as well as students.

Some campus professors have gotten involved in the program by requiring their students to attend programs that correspond with the topics that they are covering in class.

The multicultural fashion show had the highest attendance thus far.

There were clothes from around the globe modeled by Quinnipiac students.

“The clothing was actually really cool,” freshman Sarah Koste, who attended the program, said. “I didn’t know what authentic clothes from most of those countries really looked like.”

Students interested in attending the next Multicultural Monday event check your email.

The event and location are sent out to all Quinnipiac students and with the response of the program this year, it will definitely still be around next fall.