High stakes of shake and bake

Spring break is over and many students have a nice healthy glow courtesy of a tropical getaway, yet in Connecticut, the weather has not been as nice as Cancun or the Bahamas.

Many students are now turning to tanning salons such as Tommy’s Tanning to maintain their bronze appearance.

Tommy’s Tanning offers a wide variety of tanning options at affordable prices. With locations in Hamden, East Haven, Branford, Oxford and North Haven, they are making it easy for students to look like they spent the day at the beach, when they have really been in class.

According to the Hollywood Tan’s franchise website www.hollywoodtan.com, tanning can help you lose weight, since tanning stimulates the thyroid gland which boosts your metabolism; it can help ease the skin ailment psoriasis, decrease stress by helping release endorphins, and the UV light can help clear acne.

If you have never tanned at a Tommy’s location before there are special deals for new members.

Upon registering in their computers, your first tan is free and with it you receive a sample of lotion and free eye protectors. You also receive a free tan on your birthday.

If you are already in their systems there are various packages that can be purchased to save to save money.

The student rate for a single session in the regular base bed is $5.99 plus tax. A five and 10 session package would cost $25.99 and $49.99 respectively plus tax. Some of the best deals are the unlimited packages.

“I like how they have a special student rate, and their packages are great for saving money,” sophomore Melissa Concepcion, a communications major, said.

For a two week unlimited session it only costs $29.99 plus tax, but would pay for itself in just five visits.

There are also one month unlimited packages for $54.99, two months unlimited for $99.99 and three months unlimited for $129.99 plus tax. Tommy’s also has deals on lotions when you buy packages that can range from percentage off the bottles to free upgrades to a Classic 600 session.

The Classic 600 bed gives more color in less time. A single session costs $13.99 plus tax, but if you have never been in it you can get a free upgrade. Packages for the 600 are five sessions for $59.99, 10 sessions for $99.99 and1 month for unlimited for $129.99 plus tax.

The East Haven location offers a stand-up booth, the Radius 252. A single session in the Radius is $10.99. Packages are five sessions for $45.99, 10 for $74.99, two weeks unlimited for $49.99 and one month unlimited for $94.99 plus tax.

“Tommy’s tanning is the best tanning salon I have ever been too- and I’ve seen my fair share! Their lights are always strong and there’s never a wait which is great for a quick in and out if you are busy!” sophomore Victoria Johnson, a sociology major said.

Remember, a tanning salon uses UV lights just like the sun. If you still want to be tan without the risk of skin cancer there are a wide variety of bottled tanning lotions on the market.

According to the Skin Cancer foundation’s website www.skincancer.org, there have been developments in bottled tanning lotions that make them better than ever.

Bottled tanning lotions are better than tanning in a bed or in the sun because they do not cause harm to the skin.

According to the skin cancer foundation website, “While suntans also start fading after a few days, the harm done to the skin is permanent. Getting a suntan breaks down the DNA in skin cells, but using self-tanners causes no such damage. At worst, sunless tanning products present a minimal risk of irritant or allergic reactions.”

There are many bottled tanning products on the market from companies such as Banana Boat, Clinique and Estee Lauder.

Whatever method of tanning you prefer there are various affordable ways to keep tanning part of your beauty regime.