Local agencies to participate in Health and Wellness fair

Student Health Services will be sponsoring a Health and Wellness Fair on Wednesday, April 7, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Alumni Hall.
    There are approximately 40 agencies participating in this year’s event. The event has not be held at the University for several years and Student Health has taken it under their wing.
    Kathryn B. Macaione, RN and director of Student Health Services, has been coordinating the event.
    “My goal for this event is to make all that attend more aware of the health and health needs,” Macaione said. “We are excited to have this opportunity to offer students, faculty and staff a chance to educate them about their health.”
    Upon entering the fair, participants can have their picture taken and put into a key chain, just one of the many give-aways that one will be able to find throughout the event. Door prizes will be raffled off throughout the day.
    Portable reusable coffee canisters will be given away to the first 500 to walk through the door.
    There will be various different booths throughout the fair, covering all aspects of health. Some of the booths are simply informative while others are interactive.
    “There will be a booth where participants can check their height and weight to assess their BMI and also their caloric intake guidelines,” Macaione added.
    Some of the booths that one will be able to find at the fair are blood pressure screenings, glucose and cholesterol level tests, healthy nail maintenance, skin care, breast and testicular self exam demonstrations and education, healthy food, drug abuse, stress reducing techniques, among others.
    The American Red Cross will be on hand demonstrating CPR and a local organization will be on hand demonstrating how to use an AED, or Automated External Defibrillator.
    The American Cancer Society will have a machine assessing sun damage to faces.
    The Hamden Police Department will have a booth where participants can wear alcohol-simulation goggles. When worn, these goggles are supposed to represent how one would view the world after specific numbers of alcoholic beverages are consumed.
    “I hope that this fair will help promote a healthy lifestyle and teach people practices necessary to maintain a healthy, long life,” Macaione said.
    For more information, please contact Student Health Services.