A fight for woman’s rights

Men and women from all over the country will gather together to march for women’s rights on Sunday, April 25 in Washington D.C., and Quinnipiac students have a chance to take part in the action.

Rebecca Kapchan, women’s studies minor at Quinnipiac, decided to get Quinnipiac students involved in the march to fight for reproductive rights, including abortion, birth control, the morning after pill and even just the right to have access to a gynecologist, which are all in jeopardy.

“Someone did fight for these rights and now they’re getting threatened,” Kapchan said.

There are seven major women’s rights groups involved in the march.

Some of these groups include the American Civil Liberties Union, Black Women’s Health Imperative, Feminist Majority, Naral Pro- Choice America, National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, National Organization for Women and Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

Nicolette Tillotson, sophomore public relations major, plans to take part in the march.

She has participated in anti- war demonstrations in Boston but this will be the largest non-violent demonstration that she has participated in.

“I don’t think most people are aware of how much control the government has over the rights that we need,” Tillotson said.

“Most people hear the word abortion and freak out but it’s about more than that.”

Tillotson said that there are many rights that are in danger of being taken away. The vote is about allowing women to have access to healthcare, education and just basic knowledge, she said.

For those who cannot participate in the march there are other ways to show support.

Kapchan is selling T-shirts that say “This is what a feminist looks like.” The T-shirts are $15 a piece and range in size from small to extra-large.

Anyone interested may email her at [email protected].

The “March for Women’s Lives” is predicted to be the largest march of its kind in history. The last march for women’s rights was in 1992.

This is the first time that Quinnipiac students as a group will be involved in a march for women’s reproductive rights. Transportation for the students will be provided by a local Planned Parenthood chapter.

A bus will leave Connecticut at 12 p.m. the night before the march and return at 12 p.m. the next evening. The cost is $25 for students.

Kapchan urges all students, not only women, to fight for these rights.

Especially with the possibility of these fundamental women’s rights being taken away, “You’re going to care. You’re gonna think ‘Why didn’t I fight for these fundamental rights that I have as a woman?'” Kapchan said. “It’s only one day out of the year.”