Marina McGowan bids adieu

Well, all good things must eventually come to an end. These past three years working with The Chronicle have passed quickly. Everyone on the staff, including myself, has worked hard to accomplish the best achievements we could.

It has been a long road to this point, and I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has ever allowed me to interview him or her and everyone who has helped me become a better writer. Everyday holds a new experience that I will never forget. I have learned much about journalism and newspapers that will serve me well in the future with classes, and eventually, in the working field.

Life at college has introduced me to a life outside of Massapequa Park, N.Y., the only place I had ever really known for 17 years. I was welcomed into a world of incredible friends, intense academics and the fast-paced world of journalism.

I joined the newspaper in September of my freshman year, with no other intentions but to write. Yet, towards the end of my second semester, I was elected Campus News Editor, a challenge that I readily took on. From that point on, I made a promise to uphold the integrity and professionalism that The Chronicle embraces, and I later took on the responsibility as Managing Editor, fulfilling all of my duties.

In a society that is saturated by mass media, having The Chronicle in my life has been a privilege. But, by no stretch of the means has this paper run solely on one individual. Instead, it has been a team effort the whole way through, providing sensationalism and entertainment while highlighting and making news history.

Inevitably so, working in an environment of willing writers and editors, has showed me what it takes to be a journalist. A demanding job, to say the least, I learned how a newspaper runs, and the undeniable fact that it never stops running. Even before one week’s edition is sent to print, next week’s edition is already in the making. It has certainly been a worthwhile process and one that I will positively never forget.

Most valuable to me are my friends and the memories of moments that have enriched my life for years to come. In a few short weeks, I will attend my last day of undergraduate classes at this University and no matter where the future takes me, I know that I can, and will, handle it.

While this issue marks the end of my editorial duties with The Chronicle, my feelings towards bidding The Chronicle farewell can only be summed up in one word: bittersweet. I hope that next year’s editors and staff will make The Chronicle everything it has been and more.

Journalism can never be silent: that is its greatest virtue and its greatest fault. It must speak, and speak immediately, while the echoes of wonder, the claims of triumph and the signs of horror are still in the air.” – Henry Anatole Grunwald, Editor in Chief, Time Inc.